River rocks from Lowes?

Gingerfishhhh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2020
I was wondering if the river rocks from Lowes would be safe to use in my aquarium. I’m talking about the bags of rocks. I already got them and started cleaning them when I realized I’m not sure how they would affect the water parameters of my tank. Does anyone know if these stones are safe to use? Would they leech anything into my tank?

Reactions: tlindsey

DwarfCichlidLvr

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020
Well they may rise the pH/gH.
Let them dry and but some vinegar on them.
A pic would also help.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I was wondering if the river rocks from Lowes would be safe to use in my aquarium. I’m talking about the bags of rocks. I already got them and started cleaning them when I realized I’m not sure how they would affect the water parameters of my tank. Does anyone know if these stones are safe to use? Would they leech anything into my tank?
If they are river rocks they should be fine to use. You could also do a test with White Vinegar take a few place them in a bucket pour vinegar on them If the rocks don't fizzle then absolutely safe.

DwarfCichlidLvr

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020
Hm. I don't know. I'd put them in water and wait 24 hours. Then test the water you have them sitting in. Then compare them to your water.
I think they should be fine.

Reactions: tlindsey

Gingerfishhhh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2020
They will totally work but be careful. i have used similar before. They collect waste. They are difficult to vacuum. I switched to sand and never turned back.
I was kind of worried about that but I’m not planning on using all of them, just a like six or seven. My main substrate is sand and I thought they would go good together.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store