Robert Paulson the Salminus brasiliensis (Argentinian Golden Dorado) growout thread

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Not to derail but id love to see pics of that eel tank. I can't imagine having a full grown green moray eel. Read a hysterical story of a guy that was cleaning his tank and moray escaped and tried attacking his wife.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
There's vids of my eel tanks on here...... I've never kept a green, only had a Tessy a few weeks - it jumped ship, dried up on the floor.

Not sure how one would attack if it escaped, they're greasy, all they're going to do is the wiggle......

Wolves on the other hand, had the lady friend pick up a box from Wes, she opened it and the wolf nailed her on the way out..... She hated Wolves for a long time. I had to come home from work and dig it out from under the tank. After she got bit she just walked off - "F" that fish......

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
If I were you I wouldn't give up on freshwater, I like freshwater more. I also would have a slightly different stock with that tank. Likely less fish as well. But if you're serious about that and not just mad, go for what you like more.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Really?

You'd have less then 15 fish total in a 10x4x2.5?

Maybe I am doing this all wrong..... Maybe I'm just bored of the hobby? Huh. That's rather inconvenient timing.

Almost feel like having a funeral for all the cool tanks I've had in the past, cause sure don't feel like any more are in the cards...... :(

Hope everyone enjoyed it while it lasted. Did my best to put together entertaining tanks, hell I know I've spent hours on the edge of my seat watching...... Here's to the good times!!!!

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Really?

You'd have less then 15 fish total in a 10x4x2.5?

Maybe I am doing this all wrong..... Maybe I'm just bored of the hobby? Huh. That's rather inconvenient timing.

Almost feel like having a funeral for all the cool tanks I've had in the past, cause sure don't feel like any more are in the cards...... :(

Hope everyone enjoyed it while it lasted. Did my best to put together entertaining tanks, hell I know I've spent hours on the edge of my seat watching...... Here's to the good times!!!!
I'd probably only have the lince and dorado for active swimmers. Then an aimara, if I could get a lac I'd have one in there too, and a wyckii for bottom dwellers. But if not the lac then just aimara and wyckii for me. There's a few other fish I'd like to have with them, namely a zungaro zungaro for what I have my mind set on, but 4' width wouldn't be big enough long term. And you say that about the lince so I probably wouldn't even have a lince. Some other fish I'd probably try for the experience is apurensis, I always wondered if there was something that could keep a wyckioides in its place too; a few fish I'd keep to try and learn about basically but wouldn't be long term so three fish in that tank. I'd maybe add some tough dithers like brycron depending on how the three treat each other. Like my tank now I only see three fish constantly. The curu, odoe, and gold wolf. I'm satisfied with them. Though I think another gold wolf would be helpful between the odoe and gold. The gold follows the odoe around a lot and vice versa, sometimes they annoy each other. It's like them being solo resulted in them treating each other like they would another gold or odoe. They definitely stay together for safety during wc.

And hey, I'm sure I speak for many of us, we look forward for whatever you have in store for us :)

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Makes me really friggin sad to write this........

Raymond K Hessel -(Brassie Dorado) - Roberts heterosexual life partner. Is gone. Passed away today.

I went back to work today - been off work since daughter was born a week ago. And come home to a dead Dorado...... Man those 2 were solid fish. YEARS of enjoying them pace that tank. Hands down some of the best fish this guys ever had. Gutted. Not sure I ever cared for any fish more then these guys.

Gonna be a real tough one to get over. Cheers to Raymond.

:(

IMG_2763.JPG

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sorry for the loss DB junkie.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Sorry for the loss DB junkie.
Thanks man, it means alot. You've always followed along and chimed in - I really appreciate it. Without interested people like you this would all be for nothing.

Again..... Thanks dude!

Reactions: kno4te

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
That's a bummer. I thought he was near the end from your pics. At least you got to enjoy him for 4 years.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Man DB, sorry to hear. Atleast it wasn't completely unexpected and you saw it coming. Though that makes it no better. Speaking from personal experience an unexpected death is worse than one that is expected. Just don't give up on the hobby. Remember you've done brace things others didn't. Paved the way for some of us. Proved that all we ever need is a better understanding of the fish to make things work. To me anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store