Robert Paulson the Salminus brasiliensis (Argentinian Golden Dorado) growout thread

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
You can put gulpers in your tank with those brycron. The trick with them is having them with fish that aren't overly aggressive, that won't eat them, and that they can't eat.

Seems like you have your mind in saltwater though, I say go for it

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Personally with a 10x4, I'd keep a gatf, albino silver aro, a few nice stingrays, Tigrinis, and perhaps aimara. Big docile dithers are important such as the albino silver or even tarpon. I also like some nice peacock bass but depends if the tank is getting too crowded. In Asia, for sure id throw in a main red or blue base gold arowana as well. My current diplogramma channa is almost 16-17" and is transitioning to full blue and has been very comm friendly as well. In such a tank, I would absolutely avoid dorado in my own past experience. My old dorado would cause ridiculous havoc with everyone. I've never kept a lunch before so I wouldn't know how it affects the tank dynamics.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Albino silver's likely out... Don't wanna pay a stack of loot for drop eye.

I think I'd rather keep a big group of Ornate Pims vs 1 Tig. Don't imagine they'd get along - have heard Tigs are kind of mean to smaller catfish, but may be open to the idea if there's people out there with Tig experience backing the idea?? Possible to keep Tigs with other smaller catfish???

I tried Vatf, Gatf, and Tatf. IF I'm going to invest the time and money its going to be into a species that isn't a stupid flight risk. I've never had a Tanzy kill itself by freaking out. The largest I currently have is probably close to 20" and its in a 2' wide tank. Seldom ever gets excited. I watched my old Gatf spazz out all the time and I watched my Vatf kill itself a few weeks ago after being here for years. Can honestly say I don't think I'll ever intentionally buy another one. Flightiest fish I ever had next only to the Gatf. Worse then FW Cuda.....

I have smaller Marble rays I can keep in this tank. This would allow me to keep smaller stuff Like Ornate Pims and Tiger silver dollars without the rays eating them. Or I suppose I could put all my mutt rays in there, but they're eventually gonna get big enough to snack on the fish mentioned in a year or 2.... Guessing most black mutts will get huge. The one I bred is now larger then most of my midget Marbles after a year and a half. Several of the midget rays have been here over 5 years and showed up breeding size.

Speaking of huge I've seen 3' Tarpons on youtube. Not sure I'd want much part of that. Tried them in the past and they proved very delicate. I had some Lemon fin Barbs I really enjoyed, maybe I can try to find some of those again, peaceful massive barbs that look much nicer then tinfoils in my opinion..

Channa..... Not even going to get started, Lets just say I started keeping Wolves to try to fill that void. Have had Snakeheads back when they were legal here and sure wish I knew what I had. Channa are in my opinion some of the most beautiful fish on the planet. IF legal here I'd have tanks full of them and surely they'd spill into all my tanks.

I appreciate the suggestions.... Keep the ideas coming! Surely we can eventually come up with a plan. We need a plan. Without a plan there can be no attack. No attack = No victory.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter is our catfish guru lol.

You could keep lemon barbs with gulpers ;) lol they get big enough and just as you said they're peaceful.

So bichirs don't interest you? There's such a wide variety.

Wolves and channa aren't very similar besides having a nice set of teeth. I don't think wolves can fill the void. Not as many species available to us, not as many colors, not as many different sizes and requirements as far as tropical and sun tropical etc. aggression for both I'd say still go by the specimen. But then again I'd never kept channa just going off of what I've read.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
No Bichirs.... lol. Strange I know.... Never really been big into P Bass or Dats either. Really kind of a raykeeper first, something to fill the waste of tank leftover by the rays.... lol. All tanks here have rays in them and theres a few devoted just to pups - where some of the more delicate stuff resides like the Red Tailed Cuda.

Gulpers are gonna make flapjack sandwiches outta any pups born in the tank - can't have it happen... Plus they'd try to eat the Ornate Pims. There's already a big group here would like to find something that would work with them if possible....

Tank this size full of yellow tailed cuda and bicuda would be sweet! So would a bunch of Odoe.....

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Do you like gobies? Eleotris Picta or water cow is a species I like, not really territorial in my much smaller set ups when compared to yours, an interesting looking oddball. Had one I was able to handle and hand feed. Maybe jade gobies. I'd say marbled gobies but they can get bigger, be more aggressive, and are more predatory.

See for me I'd go with a bunch of fish that stay between 1-2 feet. Instead of a few fish that can potentially out grow it.

Fw cudas are nice, you may have to grow them in a separate tank though, I believe they grow farely slow.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
IME, tigs don't pay attention to non-Brachyplatystoma catfish, smaller or not. Especially in a bigger tank. Now surely our hobby is riddled with exceptions too, so it's always a gamble but IMHO it'd be a safe gamble to combine tigs with ornate pims.

I've had tigs with all kinds of other catfish for the past 2 years in 240 gal and 4500 gal. They don't like each other and other Brachies but size matters. Equal and smaller Brachies would be attacked. Larger left alone.

I hope people with better tig experience will chime in. Although I currently have 9, I've not had them long enough - 1 for 2 years, 4 for 1 year, and 4 for a week so these don't even count :)

Reactions: moe214

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
Nothing fills the void of channa!! Especially bichirs. Lol. I've recently tried to fill the void with ranchu goldfish!! A 750 filled with ranchu and a small chutatsi (sp) perch???

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Beans and Franks!!!! Brassies and Frankies.

Blasting this back from the past.......

:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store