Ropefish fighting

PitchBlackMolly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2023
Hi everyone, I’m new here and am hoping I’m posting this in the right place.

Some backstory:
Years back I took over a friend’s aquarium and the fish in it. I was very interested in fish and they wanted to find them a better home. They told me there were Black Mollies in there and I was very excited, I couldn’t see them because the aquarium was just black from algae. When I got home and got it all cleaned up I eventually counted over 50!!! Black Mollies in the small aquarium. So I quickly had to upgrade everything, the aquarium, the filter and everything else with it. I got about a 150 liter aquarium for them, but there were still too many mollies and they just kept producing more and more babies. Then my local fish store keeper suggested getting a ropefish to help with keeping the population low. The ropefish would eat the fry and in that way I could let nature deal with it, which was my preference over selling them. They only had one ropefish and I found out only later that they are usually kept in groups. However even if I wanted to get more ropefish I didn’t want to overcrowd the aquarium any more, so I kept it as it was. My ropefish was super happy, chilling under a hollow piece of drift wood and swimming around the aquarium happily. My Black Molly population decreased with the help of the ropefish and as the older mollies died over time from old age/fighting due to too many males/disease and all the sad stuff that comes with it, now years and years later I am left with two black mollies. One is a small male and one is a huuuge female. I put the male in a different 150 liter aquarium and kept the female in the aquarium with the ropefish. So, this left the aquarium with only two fish, the ropefish and the black molly. And I thought this was a nice moment to get a buddy for my ropefish.

I drove about two and half hours today to get the “buddy”. But after acclimating the buddy to the aquarium…they started fighting. It might be stupid but I never expected it, neither for it to be this wild. Before deciding to get a buddy for my ropefish I read up on it a lot and had the idea that they would peacefully slither around together. Of course some form of dominance can be expected to sort out their roles, but man, I am scared one of them will be dead in the morning. I cannot read much about this anywhere on the internet, so I would love to know what you guys think (especially people with similar experiences). Apparently it’s better to keep either 1 OR 3 but not 2. However I think having 3 of them will be too much for the size of my aquarium and I doubt they will suddenly be best buddies. My original ropefish is a female by the way and the “buddy” ropefish is a male. It’s now night but if I have to I’ll do whatever to get them to just be cool with each other for a sec. I’m letting them handle this a little bit but if they keep going I’m thinking I’ll have to put the “buddy” in his own aquarium (the other 150 liter one is filled with shrimp and tiny rasboras, so doesn’t seem a great fit).
Does anyone have any advise???
I would love for them to be ok with each other but I’m fearing I’ll have to rehome this buddy.

Will they be okay after a couple of hours or should I seperate them immediately? In the beginning they were simultaneously nipping at each others tails. Then they actually started attacking the rest of each other’s bodies.

Only when I drop food in they chill out shortly but they’ve had enough and I cannot give more now. They have one big piece of hollow driftwood with a lot of plants on it in the centre of the aquarium, which the female ropefish always chills under. Then there’s a tunnel with plants on it that they can fit entirely in. There’s one more big cave that they can go in but a little bit more curled up. And there’s one more small piece of driftwood that’s more of a coverage. There’s a lot of plants and a lot of very long vallisneria spiralis.

P.S. they don’t pay any attention to the female black molly, it’s just directed towards each other.

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome to the forum!
The first thing I would try is adding hiding spots and redecorating. Even fish that don’t mind company can get territorial. Rearranging decor can help calm that down.

PitchBlackMolly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2023
Welcome to the forum!
The first thing I would try is adding hiding spots and redecorating. Even fish that don’t mind company can get territorial. Rearranging decor can help calm that down.
Thank you so much, happy to be here! : )
I will get some hiding spots first thing tomorrow. Thank you for your advise!

Just went to see them again and they’ve actually chilled out (hopefully it wasn’t just a short pause) perhaps I was overreacting but I’ll check again in a bit. I’m very attached to my female ropefish and was just scared I made the biggest mistake ever. Female ropefish is currently in her favourite spot under the hollow driftwood and buddy is hanging out in the vallisneria spiralis at the top. If they’re still okay through the night and morning, do you think rearranging will mess it up again or would it still be a good thing?
I greatly appreciate you taking the time reading my full-on book and giving valuable advise.

Reactions: Deadeye

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
some form of dominance
Hi everyone, I’m new here and am hoping I’m posting this in the right place.

Some backstory:
Years back I took over a friend’s aquarium and the fish in it. I was very interested in fish and they wanted to find them a better home. They told me there were Black Mollies in there and I was very excited, I couldn’t see them because the aquarium was just black from algae. When I got home and got it all cleaned up I eventually counted over 50!!! Black Mollies in the small aquarium. So I quickly had to upgrade everything, the aquarium, the filter and everything else with it. I got about a 150 liter aquarium for them, but there were still too many mollies and they just kept producing more and more babies. Then my local fish store keeper suggested getting a ropefish to help with keeping the population low. The ropefish would eat the fry and in that way I could let nature deal with it, which was my preference over selling them. They only had one ropefish and I found out only later that they are usually kept in groups. However even if I wanted to get more ropefish I didn’t want to overcrowd the aquarium any more, so I kept it as it was. My ropefish was super happy, chilling under a hollow piece of drift wood and swimming around the aquarium happily. My Black Molly population decreased with the help of the ropefish and as the older mollies died over time from old age/fighting due to too many males/disease and all the sad stuff that comes with it, now years and years later I am left with two black mollies. One is a small male and one is a huuuge female. I put the male in a different 150 liter aquarium and kept the female in the aquarium with the ropefish. So, this left the aquarium with only two fish, the ropefish and the black molly. And I thought this was a nice moment to get a buddy for my ropefish.

I drove about two and half hours today to get the “buddy”. But after acclimating the buddy to the aquarium…they started fighting. It might be stupid but I never expected it, neither for it to be this wild. Before deciding to get a buddy for my ropefish I read up on it a lot and had the idea that they would peacefully slither around together. Of course some form of dominance can be expected to sort out their roles, but man, I am scared one of them will be dead in the morning. I cannot read much about this anywhere on the internet, so I would love to know what you guys think (especially people with similar experiences). Apparently it’s better to keep either 1 OR 3 but not 2. However I think having 3 of them will be too much for the size of my aquarium and I doubt they will suddenly be best buddies. My original ropefish is a female by the way and the “buddy” ropefish is a male. It’s now night but if I have to I’ll do whatever to get them to just be cool with each other for a sec. I’m letting them handle this a little bit but if they keep going I’m thinking I’ll have to put the “buddy” in his own aquarium (the other 150 liter one is filled with shrimp and tiny rasboras, so doesn’t seem a great fit).
Does anyone have any advise???
I would love for them to be ok with each other but I’m fearing I’ll have to rehome this buddy.

Will they be okay after a couple of hours or should I seperate them immediately? In the beginning they were simultaneously nipping at each others tails. Then they actually started attacking the rest of each other’s bodies.

Only when I drop food in they chill out shortly but they’ve had enough and I cannot give more now. They have one big piece of hollow driftwood with a lot of plants on it in the centre of the aquarium, which the female ropefish always chills under. Then there’s a tunnel with plants on it that they can fit entirely in. There’s one more big cave that they can go in but a little bit more curled up. And there’s one more small piece of driftwood that’s more of a coverage. There’s a lot of plants and a lot of very long vallisneria spiralis.

P.S. they don’t pay any attention to the female black molly, it’s just directed towards each other.
Welcome aboard

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Thank you so much, happy to be here! : )
I will get some hiding spots first thing tomorrow. Thank you for your advise!

Just went to see them again and they’ve actually chilled out (hopefully it wasn’t just a short pause) perhaps I was overreacting but I’ll check again in a bit. I’m very attached to my female ropefish and was just scared I made the biggest mistake ever. Female ropefish is currently in her favourite spot under the hollow driftwood and buddy is hanging out in the vallisneria spiralis at the top. If they’re still okay through the night and morning, do you think rearranging will mess it up again or would it still be a good thing?
I greatly appreciate you taking the time reading my full-on book and giving valuable advise.
If they are getting along now and continue getting along, you may not have to worry. If nothing else it would be precautionary. Most likely they were figuring out dominance and have settled things.

PitchBlackMolly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2023
An update:
I rearranged the aquarium. They stopped fighting after that evening (or so I thought), however buddy ropefish was ALWAYS up in the plants meanwhile the female ropefish swishes around wherever she pleases. I did not see buddy ever eat (I know that’s kind of common) and I was worried he was not eating since he seemed in a hiding mode rather than foraging mode. He also didn’t look lively since he was just staying up in between the plants. THEN after a few days I suddenly noticed that his tail was red (bloody) on multiple spots near his tail and he even seemed to be shedding a little bit of scales? I don’t think the shedding is from a disease but rather from being attacked from my female ropefish. So while I thought it had all settled, though slightly unfairly, it became quite apparent to me that my female ropefish had still been going up to him to attack. I decided to take a risk and set up my spare quarantine tank as a temporary home for Buddy so he could heal until I can hopefully fix this situation. I’m aware that it is risky and not the perfect aquarium for him, but I’ve tried to make it an utmost smooth transition for him. The reason why I chose to do this is because I’d rather he stay in a smaller home and be alive and comfortable then to get attacked and die slowly from wounds in a big aquarium. (My other big aquarium contains only small fish and creatures and the water parameters vary too much from each other to have homed him there).

AS SOON as I transitioned him to his new temporary home he was alive and swimming and happier than I’ve seen him thus far!!! He went and explored through the plants and the driftwood tunnel and he seemed 100x more active. I’ve fed him and watched him with turned off lights (it is currently evening anyway but I didn’t want to stress him with the lights on).

The plan from now is as follows:
My ideal outcome is for buddy and female to get along/peacefully coexist anyway. I think my rearranging wasn’t enough, so I’m hoping if I entirely flip it that they might find some common ground. I was planning on changing it anyway but didn’t want to do it right after getting buddy because I thought it’d be too much at once (ironic). It will take a while to plan out and get everything I need to redo the BM/Ropefish aquarium since my good old aquarium fish store is far away from my current home. But I’m looking forward to getting it all done and I’m really hoping it will help get buddy and female along with each other.

I will give another update later, since perhaps someone else will read this at one point in time with a similar situation. 👍

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store