rose queen

Pogij

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2021
Our RQ laid eggs but not sure who the father is? We had a beautiful Pollini in there but it was beaten severely, so we took it out and placed it another tank, but it did not survive. Maybe the RQ did it?? We took her out and the eggs that she laid on a stone and placed them in a tank of there own. She immediately started to eat them, so we removed her. No idea if any will survive. Here she is:178F9018-2C46-4609-89D2-21658A334622.jpeg

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Chances are they are infertile. Polleni (African) can’t fertilize eggs of American cichlids. Also, without a male, the eggs won’t be fertile, so she will eat them, knowing they won’t hatch.
Are there any other cichlids in the tank (Central American specifically)?

Pogij

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2021
After digging a hole for the past several days she just laid another batch of eggs on the same rock. She has been hanging around a lot with our Oscar. In this tank we have Rose Queen, Oscar, 3 Severums, Blue Texas, Blue Acara, Arowana, 2 Peacock bass, Gar, Jack Dempsey, clown knife and pleco.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
It probably paired with the Oscar, not high chances for fry though. Kind of a good thing because you won’t have to worry about that. It could successfully breed with the Texas and the jack, but even those are rare hybrids.

Reactions: Pogij

Pogij

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2021
It probably paired with the Oscar, not high chances for fry though. Kind of a good thing because you won’t have to worry about that. It could successfully breed with the Texas and the jack, but even those are rare hybrids.
Thanks for the insight. I wish it was with the Blue Texas, but the severum and jack D keep him on one side of the tank.

Pogij

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2021
Well, round 3. Obviously Oscar and the Queen once again. More tea colored than in the past, though the fuzz is increasing on some. Should I remove the fuzz, or take out the whole rock? Its been 3 days.

eggs3.jpg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
They still look infertile. If you have a tank you can try to raise them, but if they were good the mother would have removed the fungus covered eggs by now.

Reactions: Bbuckley and Pogij

Pogij

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2021
maybe I should take the Purple Queen and the Blue Texas or Jack Dempsey and put them in a separate tank to see if they would breed since she is so eager to breed? You can tell she is about to breed as she sets up her breeding area digging sand for days. Then when her color lightens you know she is going to lay eggs.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I wouldn’t try to force a pair. Even if she is eager, the others may not be so ready and fights can start.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store