Rtc/tsn hybrid ich

SomethingPhishy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2018
Our new rtc/tan has ich .I have the temp at 83 right now we've done daily 25% water changes the past 3 days. Anything else I can do being it's a catfish?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Keep lights off for a while, many new fish get ick,just do daily 50 percent water changes for a while.

SomethingPhishy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2018

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
That is decent advice but I hear not to do salt with catfish tho because they don't have scales or armor. So I'm really tied up here with people telling me to do both things 50-50 and I'm stuck on the line haha.
He'll probably recover soon with no stress, if your worried you can add tannins to the water

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
That is decent advice but I hear not to do salt with catfish tho because they don't have scales or armor. So I'm really tied up here with people telling me to do both things 50-50 and I'm stuck on the line haha.
hello; may be best to do some research on the particular fish. My take is that even if you do only a temp raise that your listed temp is likely too low. Also hope you do not have a type of ich which is resistant to higher temps.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
just do daily 50 percent water changes for a while.
if your worried you can add tannins to the water
hello; While both of these suggestions will not do any harm, I cannot follow how they alone are enough to be an effective cure. The WC will help remove some of the parasites and eggs if the substrate is vacuumed but my thinking some likely will remain. Tannins may relieve stress I guess.

I will guess about this. My thinking is the temp needs to be nearer 90 F with plenty of aeration. I am also not sure that just a temp raise is enough to kill off the ich. Some posts suggest it will but others claim salt of other medication is needed to actually kill the parasite.

SomethingPhishy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2018
hello; While both of these suggestions will not do any harm, I cannot follow how they alone are enough to be an effective cure. The WC will help remove some of the parasites and eggs if the substrate is vacuumed but my thinking some likely will remain. Tannins may relieve stress I guess.

I will guess about this. My thinking is the temp needs to be nearer 90 F with plenty of aeration. I am also not sure that just a temp raise is enough to kill off the ich. Some posts suggest it will but others claim salt of other medication is needed to actually kill the parasite.
I actually don't have a substrate in the tank it's just glass and at the moment there's not a spec of white on it. If I swirl the water in the tank not a thing gets stirred up either. It's almost like having a quarantine essentially. Only bigger than most people's. The fish is the only thing with spots mostly because I do the 50% daily and suck everything off the tank floor. I also have 2 aerators and 2 aquaclear 50 filters stirring everything up also. Temp is currently at 85. I just need to find out if I should bump up higher yet and add salt and risk the catfish dying cuz of salt or don't add salt and risk him dying from ich. That's what I meant by I'm stuck at the crossroads haha. 50% say salt 50% say salt and meds will definitely kill him.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Catfish should be fine with salt at ~3% and heat at 86degrees. 50% water changes as suggested and replace the amount salt removed won’t the water. Patience (over 10 days) and water changes will get it better.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store