Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

RTC with swim bladder

Discussion in 'Freshwater Diseases and Health Issues' started by Kye0001, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Kye0001

Kye0001 Feeder Fish

Helen Wilson
      Feb 10, 2019
      Hi please can someone help us?

We’ve got a RTC that’s a rescue, we’ve had him nearly a year now. He was kept in a really small tank and his growth was stunted so we don’t know how old he is. He’s grown about 1” a month with us though and is now about 2ft 6”. He’s been healthy, active, no signs of infection, fed a balanced diet, water parameters are all fine.

He had his weekly waterchange on Friday and then last night we found him floating on his side. We changed the water again in case there was something in it that wasn’t showing on tests. I lost all my pond fish last week after a water change (had them years and was gutted so it is possible). We use drinking water to change the tanks and seachem prime.

He settled on the bottom of his tank after the water change and was level again. An hour later he was back on his side. Same thing today. Today the water tested as high for ammonia (possibly all these water changes?) so we’ve done a 70% water change again. I’ve ordered purigen to take the ammonia out.

I’ve found a local fish vet but tbh he’s renowned for billing you 10x what is actually needed. Our bearded dragon was ill years ago and he charged £300 to get him better. I was later told by the reptile shop they could have wormed him for £6 as that was all the vet actually did . I’m happy paying a vet but I don’t want them to put him through unnecessary treatments as he won’t make it. If I at least know what he needs I can argue his case.

Please can anyone advise us? We really don’t want to loose him.

2. kno4te

kno4te MFK Moderators
      Staff Member

Ron
      Today at 8:09 AM
      Would keep up the water changes with seachem prime. Can add a little Epsom salt 1 tbsp per 5g. Check ur water daily to twice a day to make sure the ammonia comes down. Hold feedings for now.

Drinking water isn’t distilled is it?

3. Kye0001

Kye0001 Feeder Fish

Helen Wilson
      Feb 10, 2019
      Thanks for the reply. RE drinking water it’s tapwater and safe for human consumption but obviously still need to dechlorinate for the fish. Can you advise if any medications will help him please? Do you think the vet is best way to go? I’m concerned the 45min drive may kill him.

4. kno4te

kno4te MFK Moderators
      Staff Member

Ron
      Vet is always a better option. Treat the underlying condition if not better with clean water and Epsom salt then consider kanamycin. Would wait as abx can cause more probs in stressed fish.

5. Kye0001

Kye0001 Feeder Fish

Helen Wilson
      Feb 10, 2019
      Thanks. I’ll try everything else first. Just ordered a extra filter with uv and purigen etc.

6. Matthew carter

Matthew carter Gambusia

Matthew carter
      Feb 10, 2019
      My birchir can’t seem to get off the bottom of my tank but is still feeding?? Any ideas??

7. kno4te

kno4te MFK Moderators
      Staff Member

Ron
      Hard to say. Would create ur own thread and post water and pics. Also don’t jump another’s thread.