Rubber Roll Matting?

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
I think I saw Oddball Oddball say he used rubber roll matting that you find at the gym or camping matting between his tank/stand.

I was wondering if this would work for my TRUVU acrylic tank to work out any minor imperfections or nails that are on the 3/4 wood on top.

It's hard to find anything that's 30" wide and my local lowes out in the sticks doesn't have foam.

the tank is 60"x30"x30.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
wednesday13 wednesday13

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
Should not need any rubber underneath an acrylic tank. I believe the standard treatment is to place acrylic tanks directly onto a sanded plywood panel that supports the entire surface area of the bottom of the tank.
not here to argue between needing or not needing for tanks without rims, I've read enough online about people debating this. Most manufactures require Styrofoam otherwise it voids the tanks warranty Glass or acrylic, they keyword though being "without the plastic rims". The leveling mat is to protect the bottom of the tank from minor imperfections in the sheet of plywood or what you used to attach the plywood, hence why I asked. I've had tanks with and without it, just need someone with knowledge on if this product would work or not, or if I need to drive 2 hours out of my way to a lowes/homedepot that carries some type of Styrofoam or try to find a vendor online that has Neoprene in the size I need.

Reactions: qldmick

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
What i would do is properly prep that surface by leveling the stand, sanding it down where needed, and driving down any exposed hardware that might contact the tank. I suppose the floor mat couldnt hurt anything. I say go for it if thats your style.

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
What i would do is properly prep that surface by leveling the stand, sanding it down where needed, and driving down any exposed hardware that might contact the tank. I suppose the floor mat couldnt hurt anything. I say go for it if thats your style.
it's more so the manufacture's style. I purchased a custom tank from them ( long story ended up getting $850 off due to a delivery error ). They weren't specific when it came to what style of "aquarium mat" to place under the tank, the rep I was talking to just said to get one as it would void the warranty if I didn't. With the way my luck has been going lately, i'd rather not take the risk. I've never used Styrofoam or anything under my acrylic tanks, even when I was younger and built them. My 6x4x2 sat on it's wooden stand on the porch for like 6 years before I sold it, never had a issue.

Last edited:

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Paint a pice of 3/4” ply pink so it looks like foam for ur warranty lol… if ur mat is not specified as u say i would suggest the 1/2-3/4” rubber mat over foam. Not sure where ur located but if u have a tractor supply co. They have 4’x6’x3/4” “stall mats” that should work well. They cut fairly easily with a skil saw. If ur in the sticks theres gotta be a farm/feed type store that should have them or something similiar. Might have to dig a bit but they make solid/smooth ones with no ribbing or treads. I keep one in my truck bed, they weigh around 80lbs… Alot comes up googling “stall mat”
06240943-E444-4D93-B2E8-7BB00D77842D.jpeg

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
Paint a pice of 3/4” ply pink so it looks like foam for ur warranty lol… if ur mat is not specified as u say i would suggest the 1/2-3/4” rubber mat over foam. Not sure where ur located but if u have a tractor supply co. They have 4’x6’x3/4” “stall mats” that should work well. They cut fairly easily with a skil saw. If ur in the sticks theres gotta be a farm/feed type store that should have them or something similiar. Might have to dig a bit but they make solid/smooth ones with no ribbing or treads. I keep one in my truck bed, they weigh around 80lbs… Alot comes up googling “stall mat”
View attachment 1527162
thanks, I've got a tractor supply about 30 mins away. I'm gonna spray paint it white and say it's foam if there's any issues.

• Haha
Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
thanks, I've got a tractor supply about 30 mins away. I'm gonna spray paint it white and say it's foam if there's any issues.
Worst case scenario the stall mats are fairly affordable $40-60 range for a 4’x6’x3/4”… there pretty heavy duty. Would def. trust one under my own acrylics and im the first to point fingers and nay say the foamers 😂💀

qldmick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2016
Australia
I think I saw Oddball Oddball say he used rubber roll matting that you find at the gym or camping matting between his tank/stand.

I was wondering if this would work for my TRUVU acrylic tank to work out any minor imperfections or nails that are on the 3/4 wood on top.

It's hard to find anything that's 30" wide and my local lowes out in the sticks doesn't have foam.

the tank is 60"x30"x30.
I would go with this, I think rubber mating is very important on larger tanks, I managed to find a specific aquarium roll matt for my 6x2x2, I have also used things like sleeping/exercise matting and cut to size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store