Rubber Roll Matting?

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house

tractor supply near me doesn't carry the smooth type, only the super weird rigid type. so I found this place that's not superrrr far.

that website I first mentioned it's $60 for shipping.

edit: tractor supply does have it, but it's 4x3

Last edited:

sixog1634

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2023
My approach would involve ensuring the surface is well-prepared. This would include leveling the stand, sanding down any uneven areas, and securing any exposed hardware that could potentially come into contact with the tank. Adding a floor mat might be a good precautionary measure. If this aligns with your preferred style, I'd say you should give it a try.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I haven't set up any tank without some sort of soft bedding between it and the stand for at least 40 years. My larger tanks are DIY plywood, and I have owned plenty of all-glass tanks as well, both framed and frameless, both commercial and home-made; full disclaimer, I have never owned an acrylic tank. For plywood and rimless glass I use a full-coverage rubber sheet; for a rimmed tank, my inherent cheapness has me cutting the sheet into narrow strips that are used to support only the edges where they make contact. I use the rubber for the exact reason you state, i.e. to cushion any slight imperfections or blips in the upper surface of the supporting structure. I still take pains to make sure the stand is level, the rubber isn't performing any function other than cushioning.

It's impossible to ask this question on MFK without being told that you're doing it wrong...regardless of which way you are doing it! :)

That rubber mat you linked to looks perfect; I'd use that in a heartbeat. Doesn't matter what width it comes in, just piece it together however way you can to get the full coverage support that acrylics apparently need. Doesn't matter if you have tiny gaps here and there between pieces, once the tank is in place that rubber won't be shifting around any.

Styrofoam works too, but it's a PITA to get it in place, trimming the edges is messy, it looks like crap, it's easily damaged...give me a black rubber pad every time! :)

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Ive always been quite leery about foams or mats becoming soaked with errant water or trapping it and rotting my stand. I had one glass tank with yoga mat under it that would smell like rotting wood periodically and i found it was collecting water there from splashing cichlids. Probably was nothing serious but annoying nonetheless. This is just one of those things where i lean more to "if it aint broke dont fix it" rather than "better safe than sorry".

But that rubber stall mat most likely wouldnt collect much water.

jjohnwm jjohnwm if i caught you putting foam under a framed glass tank i believe i would smack ya simply for wasting precious time and effort lol.

• Haha
Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
jjohnwm jjohnwm if i caught you putting foam under a framed glass tank i believe i would smack ya simply for wasting precious time and effort lol.
Having done it...I now believe that I would deserve a beating if I tried it again...:)

There's a fine line between cheap and stupid and I think I was well onto the wrong side of it with that experiment...:)

Reactions: Backfromthedead
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store