Rules of Hybridization In American Cichlids

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Ive heard ALOT of rumors of how blood parrots were bred, But none of them are confirmed (I dont think lol). What is your theory?

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
Ive heard ALOT of rumors of how blood parrots were bred, But none of them are confirmed (I dont think lol). What is your theory?
Im not gonna discuss it here but there is an old thread where we talked about this. Some of the stuff I said on the thread I no longer agree with having learned more on the subject such as the whole Mammon aspect of it. But if you want to bump it go ahead http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...ussion-Thread&highlight=creation+blood+parrot

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Excellent thread, Chris; I'll see what I can do about getting it stickied.

Just tossing this one out there, but what do you think a red bay snook (Petenia splendida) x flowerhorn cross would look like? Is such a cross even possible despite both being Central American cichlids? I saw a really sweet looking red bay snook in an LFS the other day, and I started to wonder what kind of cool hybrids I could make with it. :D

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Excellent thread, Chris; I'll see what I can do about getting it stickied.

Just tossing this one out there, but what do you think a red bay snook (Petenia splendida) x flowerhorn cross would look like? Is such a cross even possible despite both being Central American cichlids? I saw a really sweet looking red bay snook in an LFS the other day, and I started to wonder what kind of cool hybrids I could make with it. :D
I saw the snook x trimac cross thread in here few years ago and the male hybrid was stunning hybrid! There was a snook x blood parrot cross too but I forget what they looks like.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
If we are assuming this is local store quality Flowerhorn than the Trimac x Snook is the best example. I think its really awesome looking.

[video=youtube;CVeRRGolMaQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVeRRGolMaQ[/video]

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
If we are assuming this is local store quality Flowerhorn than the Trimac x Snook is the best example. I think its really awesome looking.
Wow, that one looks pretty awesome. Now just to do a little more research in order to determine what sort of setup I'll need to get them to breed before I even seriously consider acquiring a pair.

Also thanks Ryan on helping getting it stickied, very much appreciated.
No problem. This thread is sure to help out a lot of people. :thumbsup:

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
These are the parent, FH was the female and Snook the male. I would think that as long as you were tying to pair large adults and not smaller one they might pair easier. Appropriate tank size and typically condition and you might pull it off.

[video=youtube;Lu3MKxdILXc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu3MKxdILXc&feature=plcp[/video]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store