Ryukin x black moor spawn

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Most of your fry are going to have single tails, and deformities can enhance value sometimes.

It is said that there are only 1 good fish in every goldfish spawn (old Asian saying).

Don't be surprised if they don't show good color for months either.
So far the deformities I’m seeing wouldn’t. One has a bent spine and another has only the top half of its tailfin.

I think that saying will hold true for this spawn, if I’m lucky! Maybe one will be worth keeping or selling. I’m feeling discouraged, but maybe over the coming months they will surprise me.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
So far the deformities I’m seeing wouldn’t. One has a bent spine and another has only the top half of its tailfin.

I think that saying will hold true for this spawn, if I’m lucky! Maybe one will be worth keeping or selling. I’m feeling discouraged, but maybe over the coming months they will surprise me.
Goldies from an even vaguely reputable source are not cheap. You should be able to find someone who wants them for a pond, even they are far from perfect, they won't be unwanted or homeless :)

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Goldies from an even vaguely reputable source are not cheap. You should be able to find someone who wants them for a pond, even they are far from perfect, they won't be unwanted or homeless :)
Well, I hope I’ll find some people who want them.

I took some pictures over the past few days for their 3wk growout pictures.
I have removed 4 “tobies” that we’re causing trouble.
Here are three of the four removed. 31AA5FFB-DF6F-43E7-A63A-6C8C06AFFAF3.jpeg7D1C71E2-5327-4C5A-BE74-12561388C51E.jpeg
A couple more may follow them in the coming weeks.
Here are some I purposely pulled. These are the only fantails I could find with some I thought look interesting.
9326B295-EB22-4380-8198-A694A97D39BE.png EE9EF4DA-B81A-4558-A200-EAD5D4F96140.jpeg BDCB1F3F-81A0-4F44-BEA9-FA2C4B02FCB7.png
And here is a deformed one. It’s tailfin is completely offset.
26208439-4737-47FC-B35D-B72181A1DEBA.png

Still have not culled anyone. Just moved out the troublemakers to a different tank. I’m trying to save the last few fantails I have. Sadly only the one has a tail that’s looking semi decent at this small size.

Reactions: Dloks and J. H.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Well, I hope I’ll find some people who want them.

I took some pictures over the past few days for their 3wk growout pictures.
I have removed 4 “tobies” that we’re causing trouble.
Here are three of the four removed. View attachment 1324900View attachment 1324899
A couple more may follow them in the coming weeks.
Here are some I purposely pulled. These are the only fantails I could find with some I thought look interesting.
View attachment 1324901 View attachment 1324902 View attachment 1324903
And here is a deformed one. It’s tailfin is completely offset.
View attachment 1324904

Still have not culled anyone. Just moved out the troublemakers to a different tank. I’m trying to save the last few fantails I have. Sadly only the one has a tail that’s looking semi decent at this small size.
I see the makings of at least 3 decent fish, however one should keep in mind that even non fan tails may grow into decent fish, I would recommend tossing any fish with a left or right turning spinal deformity into a predator tank

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I see the makings of at least 3 decent fish, however one should keep in mind that even non fan tails may grow into decent fish, I would recommend tossing any fish with a left or right turning spinal deformity into a predator tank
That was my thinking as welll. I’m waiting till they get a. It bigger, 2-3” maybe before deciding what ones to keep and whatnot. I have a few I’m hoping will turn into keepers.
Not sure who I’ll try to feed them to yet. I was going to toss the duds back in the pond to be eaten, but my luck they’d find a way to survive.
Not sure my terrors would eat them.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
4wk pictures
0279F8FA-5CA8-4503-A5D7-0CD3E358BAC8.jpeg 601414F2-83F2-4CD1-9E77-C42C59122846.jpeg
And some of the smaller fry
Possibly bubble eyes?
34B14B79-E956-49E3-8010-75586AE986C8.jpeg
And I’m watching this one. I think it may be interesting. It has improved since last weeks pictures.
B8A1A6E7-8702-4045-A579-28684756A48E.jpeg

Reactions: pescado209

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
If you have single tail Ryukin fry they may make very nice Tamasaba.
I read somewhere that the Tamasaba is the progenitor to the fancy species, essentially before the fan tail developed.
Not sure if I believe that but either way you could have some nice tamasaba looking fish.

Also because some are so much larger, faster growing and more "Common" looking its possible you have Koi fry mixed in too. I guess you wont be able to tell until you see barbels.

Great Thread!

Last edited:
Reactions: MrsE88 and tlindsey

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
If you have single tail Ryukin fry they may make very nice Tamasaba.
I read somewhere that the Tamasaba is the progenitor to the fancy species, essentially before the fan tail developed.
Not sure if I believe that but either way you could have some nice tamasaba looking fish.

Also because some are so much larger, faster growing and more "Common" looking its possible you have Koi fry mixed in too. I guess you wont be able to tell until you see barbels.

Great Thread!
Thank you
I do have one I think maybe (or at least might look like) a tamasaba. It is the largest of the fry and common goldfish color, single tail, the stomach looks fuller and the body a bit tall, but has no traits that would point to a koi crossing. Who knows though, maybe it will just look like a fat common goldfish. Lol
There are other fry the certainly do look to be crosses. And a few that look pure koi. None show any barbells yet, or at least none I can see right now.
I’ll be updating shortly with their 5wk pictures. Another koi one caught my eye this morning. Since I can only view them from the side in the tank I need to take it out so I can more clearly see the pattern starting to form.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thank you
I do have one I think maybe (or at least might look like) a tamasaba. It is the largest of the fry and common goldfish color, single tail, the stomach looks fuller and the body a bit tall, but has no traits that would point to a koi crossing. Who knows though, maybe it will just look like a fat common goldfish. Lol
There are other fry the certainly do look to be crosses. And a few that look pure koi. None show any barbells yet, or at least none I can see right now.
I’ll be updating shortly with their 5wk pictures. Another koi one caught my eye this morning. Since I can only view them from the side in the tank I need to take it out so I can more clearly see the pattern starting to form.
Exciting! As the fish develop I'll help you see if there are any koi x Goldie's

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I wonder at what age the barbels on koi become visible.
I'm not even sure if all Koi X goldfish have barbels.

Definately interesting to see how they develop.
Instead of culling the runts you could potentially give them away. i'm sure many children of friends and family would be happy to receive a free goldfish. I would be haha
When I was a kid I had goldfish , kids don't really care much about the conformity of their type they will love them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store