Salminus Franciscanus (Golden Dorado)

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
Dang. Are you serious? That not good.
Dead serious. It did take a couple days longer than I expected. This is what I saw walking out the door that morning. As you stated these fish heal incredibly fast, so even at this point I was hoping it could recover. 20170412_194936.jpg

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
Do you have other fish in the tank? The killing may be from other fish. Dorado may fight with each other, but they don't do quick kill. They may died from injury, but it usually take days. I once kept small Dorado with frontosa. Every morning, I found a head left at the bottom of the tank. At first, I thought it was Dorado killed the small/weak one of the pack. It took me 3 days and 3 Dorado to realize that the frontosa killed/ate the Dorado
John you are correct, they don't kill each other right away it takes a couple days. I do have a few mahseers and an albino clown knife, but looking at this picture although hard to see its the dorado clamping on to what's left of its tail.
I put this one out of its misery. I'm down to 2 and they are both in perfect condition and I have yet to witness any bickering between these two. Here's hoping 20170414_165751.jpg 20170414_170618.jpg 20170414_171820.jpg

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
That is viscous! Looks like they made you an ATF.
Hope my group behaves nice to each other.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
John you are correct, they don't kill each other right away it takes a couple days. I do have a few mahseers and an albino clown knife, but looking at this picture although hard to see its the dorado clamping on to what's left of its tail.
I put this one out of its misery. I'm down to 2 and they are both in perfect condition and I have yet to witness any bickering between these two. Here's hoping
Yes, the damage does look like caused by other dorado. You sure have some mean ones there. I hope those last 2 tolerate each other.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Every day I'm learning more about this fish.

Their eating habits are strange and nothing like a predator. They would dig in the gravel for food. Swimming by and tossing rocks with their nose. I would throw bits of massivore in hiding corners between rocks and sure as sh8$# they would find it within ten minutes. I'm telling you they have some kind of senses to find food without seeing it.

kendragon's findings and observations:
1. Heals fast.
2. Likes current.
3. Farts.
4. Special senses to find food.
Will add to the list as we go. I'm leaving the killing one off the list till it happens. Sorry jpotatoes.

Last edited:

Lobonator

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2015
They are growing real quick from the looks of it. What would you say the growth rate is?

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Whoa that's some crazy aggression there.
From the pic, the fish look like they are 5" or around that size, mine were aggressive at this size, until I kept them in the 50 gallon, when I moved the group to the 135 gal, things calmed down a bit.

And then moved them to the 220 gallon and now they are around 9", and during this summer, there were times when aggression, was a bit high, I have added long branch like driftwood as decor, and I see now that aggression and nipping has reduced.

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
Whoa that's some crazy aggression there.
From the pic, the fish look like they are 5" or around that size, mine were aggressive at this size, until I kept them in the 50 gallon, when I moved the group to the 135 gal, things calmed down a bit.

And then moved them to the 220 gallon and now they are around 9", and during this summer, there were times when aggression, was a bit high, I have added long branch like driftwood as decor, and I see now that aggression and nipping has reduced.
Crazy is right. Looks like I got the meanest SOB of the bunch. A real serial killer. I'm not sure what to do with him. After the last murder everything was fine for a few days. I didn't see any evidence of aggression, got home late yesterday and every fish in the tank is missing a piece of its tail. I only have 1 tank so separation isn't an option. These fish have been in a 450 tall 5x3x4 I knew this wouldn't work long term but it's a lot of space and I figured it'd last longer than 2 months.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
What's the temperature you're maintaining the tank at, any possibility yo reduce one or two degree Celsius.

Gradually, that is, over a period of a week or a forth night

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
What's the temperature you're maintaining the tank at, any possibility yo reduce one or two degree Celsius.

Gradually, that is, over a period of a week or a forth night
To be honest I'm not sure. I recently realized my heater controller wasn't working. My tank had been unheated for who knows how long. So tank temp is close to room temp, somewhere in the 70's. I hadn't noticed any odd behavior and they all eat like pigs so I haven't replaced the controller yet. Are you suggesting lowering the temp helps with aggression? I may have to lower the temp to 32°F to stop this guy.

Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store