Salminus Questions for the Community

Andrew_Murphy

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2007
Boston, Ma
^ Nope, I'd love to see some pics. I can't believe this thread has gone on this far without anyone demanding pics of said project?!?! This IS rediculous. Out with the pics!!!! Please!

IF you look at freshwwater rays they have the same mystery about color from wild to captive. "Blue" Motoros loose thier blue when put in a tank, Marbled Motoros often darken up, and captive Falkneri tend to be much darker then wild specimens.

I had heard light plays a part in the color of Dorado. The rays lack of color is said to be diet related, but some have suggested possibly lighting as well....

The "goldest" Dorado I ever raised really loved his Massivore pellets. Ate them from a very early age up through most of its life until passing at about 20".

Substrate sure does seem to affect the coloration of rays, wonder if it would darken Dorado? I've always kept mine on white - very bright substrate. Maybe black sand in a blacked out tank would make for darker more vibrant colors?
Thanks for the reply! As mentioned above I'll see what I can do as far as pics by the end of the day.

While I wouldn't readily compare the chromatiphores of elasmos with characins, I get what you are saying. The exhibit walls are fairly dark and the substrate is primarily cobblestone with scattered bare patches of the exhibit floor. The exhibit has a lot of varying photic conditions, from caves to canopy filtered light to full sun, and the school primarily sticks to the brightest portions of the pool. On that note, one interesting thing I noticed yesterday is that my largest male whom has just recently broken off from the main school, selected perhaps the most consistent bright section of vertical wall that's in the exhibit as his exclusive territory; this is where I observed the protocourtship behavior.

While adjusting the environment and utilizing our chromatic tricks of the trade will certainly make them look better but I'm unsure if it will have an impact long term development based on what I've seen with other characins. I have a strong feeling that it's biological predisposition or a biochemical hormonal cue, which dictates the development of the terminal phase coloration of this species.

These animals get spoiled with variety but I'd like to definitely see a dry staple like massivore reintroduced into their diet, we just have to be careful what goes into the exhibit due to other animals within the collection.

Thanks again for the reply and your insight. You folks definitely have my gears turning at full crank right now.

Cheers,
Andrew

Reactions: Chicxulub

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
We are under the impression that Brasiliensis is rarely imported and what is typically offered to hobbyists is farm raised Franciscanus.......

IS there indeed a solid 100% way to tell the difference between the 2 species? I'm under the impression even counting scales can be inconclusive as some numbers overlap into each species?

I've been keeping these things over the years but I have never grown one to what I would consider BIG. Maybe you can tell what I'm doing wrong? They grow fast when small slow around a foot or 14" then appetite seems to get finicky and growth is slow after. Biggest i've ever raised is probably 18-20" neighborhood. 10x4x2.5 tank should be capable of growing a larger fish then that I'd think......

Reactions: Andrew_Murphy

Andrew_Murphy

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2007
Boston, Ma
We are under the impression that Brasiliensis is rarely imported and what is typically offered to hobbyists is farm raised Franciscanus.......

IS there indeed a solid 100% way to tell the difference between the 2 species? I'm under the impression even counting scales can be inconclusive as some numbers overlap into each species?

I've been keeping these things over the years but I have never grown one to what I would consider BIG. Maybe you can tell what I'm doing wrong? They grow fast when small slow around a foot or 14" then appetite seems to get finicky and growth is slow after. Biggest i've ever raised is probably 18-20" neighborhood. 10x4x2.5 tank should be capable of growing a larger fish then that I'd think......
Not sure if this will work but here's the link to the formal description of S. fransiscanus. Relevant details quoted below:

"Diagnosis. Salminus franciscanus can be diagnosed from all Salminus species, except S. brasiliensis, by the presence of a second dentary tooth in the outer tooth series that is considerably larger than the remaining teeth (vs. second dentary teeth only slightly larger than remaining teeth in S. affinis and S. hilarii). Salminus franciscanus can be additionally diagnosed from S. affinis by the absence of the dark post-orbital stripe that is characteristic from the latter species. Salminus franciscanus can be diagnosed from S. brasiliensis in possessing much lower scale counts, i.e., lateral line (68-82, modally 77 scales, vs. vs. 79-102, modally 96), horizontal between dorsal-fin origin and lateral line (11-14, modally 12, vs. 14-18, modally 16) and horizontal between lateral line and pelvic-fin insertion (6-8, modally 6, vs. 6-9, modally 8). In spite of the great overlap, Salminus franciscanus has generally more lateral line (68-82, modally 77 scales, vs. 54-72, modally 65-66), horizontal between dorsal-fin origin and lateral line (11-14, modally 12, vs. 9-12, modally 10), and horizontal between lateral line and pelvic-fin insertion (6-8, modally 6, vs. 4-7, modally 5), scales, when compared to the sympatric S. hilarii. In life, Salminus franciscanus can also be distinguished from S. hilarii by the presence of golden coloration mainly over the facial bones and pectoral girdle (vs. facial bones and pectoral girdle silvery). See under "Remarks", below, for more details on the diagnosis of Salminus franciscanus regarding its congeners."

Also within the Discussion section
"
Given the pronounced similarity among the species of Salminus, the distinctness of S. franciscanus and its congeners was repeatedly discussed in the sparse literature dealing with the taxonomy of the genus. Lütken (1875b, 2001) was the first author to propose a possible diagnosis between what is herein described as Salminus franciscanus (his S. cuvieri) and the sympatric S. hilarii. Lütken (1875b, 2001), after presenting a thorough morphological comparison between both species, concluded that only scales counts (higher in Salminus franciscanus) and a "difference in teeth size", presumably a reference to the great development of the second dentary tooth in S. franciscanus, distinguished the two species. Lütken (1875b, 2001) warned that these differential characters should be considered as tentative since he examined only three specimens of Salminus franciscanus (one of which a skin) and a single individual of S. hilarii, that he considered a juvenile. That individual measured 81/4 Danish inches ( = 21.6 cm) which would make it rather an adult of this relatively small-sized species of Salminus. Interestingly, Lütken (1875b, 2001) was the first author to notice the discrepancy between the descriptions of Hydrocyon brevidens by Cuvier (1819) and Salminus cuvieri by Valenciennes (in Cuvier & Valenciennes, 1850). He noted that "Salminus cuvieri Val. cannot be the Hydrocyon brevidens from Cuvier, who, according to the original description, possess more than 100 lateral line scales... being, consequently, more probably identical to the species that inhabits the La Plata River" (Lütken, 2001: 121; our translation). Obviously, Lütken (1875b, 2001) was unaware of the fact that the same specimen was used in the description of both species and that the difference in lateral line counts was due to a mistake by Valenciennes. Steindachner (1880: 80), when describing Salminus affinis, considered this species very similar to S. franciscanus (his S. cuvieri; hence the epithet "affinis"), from which it was said to be diagnosable only by the presence, in the latter species, of a more robust and developed "canine" tooth ("Hundszahne") ( = second dentary tooth) and by the development, in S. franciscanus, of the central caudal-fin rays into a distal projection. As noted under "Diagnosis" and below, both are in fact valid characters to diagnose these species. Steindachner (1880: 82-83) compared Salminus franciscanus with S. hilarii, but considered them probably synonymous, believing that specimens of S. hilarii were juveniles (thus, ignoring Lütken's observations, who has compared specimens from both species of the same size). Curiously, Steindachner (1880) used Salminus cuvieri for S. franciscanus, and, in the same paper, S. brevidens for the species from the La Plata basin (= S. brasiliensis). Günther (1864) was the first author to employ Salminus brevidens for S. franciscanus, a practice that prevailed in the literature from Eigenmann (1916) up to Britski et al. (1984). Finally, Géry & Lauzanne (1990) noted that Hydrocynus brasiliensis is the older name and consequently has priority over its objective synonyms Hydrocyon brevidens and Salminus cuvieri, and more pertinently that the name should be applied to the Salminus species from the La Plata basin, rather than to one of the species from the rio São Francisco basin.

The more striking diagnostic feature of Salminus franciscanus when compared to its congeners is the great development of the second dentary tooth, which is considerably larger than the remaining dentary teeth. This feature, already reported for the species by previous authors (Lütken, 1875b, 2001; Steindachner, 1880; Géry & Lauzanne, 1990), is not, however, exclusive to Salminus franciscanus, since S. brasiliensis and, to a lesser extent, some examined specimens of S. affinis also possess a second dentary tooth distinctly larger than the remaing teeth. However, unlike Salminus franciscanus, which retain a second dentary tooth considerably larger than the remaining teeth throughout its development, in S. brasiliensis the disparity in size between this tooth and the remaining dentary teeth present a ontogenetic change. Individuals larger than 350 mm SL of the latter species possess this tooth similar in size to the remaining dentary teeth. The great development of the second dentary tooth is the better clue to diagnose Salminus franciscanus from the sympatric S. hilarii, which, inasmuch as possessing a second dentary tooth slightly larger than the remaining teeth in small specimens (< 150 mm SL), never possess it as developed as S. franciscanus. Another interesting feature present in Salminus franciscanus is the great development of the extension of the central caudal-fin extension, throughout of which extends the laterosensory tube. Salminus franciscanus has a well-developed central caudal-fin extension, which extends 1/3 or even ½ beyond primary margin of fin. Salminus brasiliensis is the only congener to possess an well-developed central caudal-fin extension, which, however, is not as well developed as the one observed in S. franciscanus. In Salminus hilarii, the central caudal-fin extension is very short, being apparent only as a small convexity on the distal portion of the caudal fin, while S. affinis apparently does not possess any development of the median caudal-fin rays beyond the primary margin of the fin."​

Up until recently S. brasiliensis was not aquacultured but these animals are now actively being produced. Under IBAMA(Brazil Fish and Wildlife) the genus is blacklisted for export for the hobby, so without permits they have to be coming from another country(not sure where). I'll have to do some digging with my importer.

For all: Just read that they reach sexual maturity around 36"TL so that may account for the current muted coloration.

Andrew_Murphy

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2007
Boston, Ma
Sorry just realzied some of that might get lost in translation.
2nd Dentary tooth(Lower jaw) seems to be the definitive way to ID w/ adult Salminus based off of the description of the holotype and paratype presented in the paper.
S. fransiscanus-well pronounced in profile

S. brasiliensis-even row in dentary teeth

Andrew_Murphy

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2007
Boston, Ma
For all: Just read that they reach sexual maturity around 36"TL so that may account for the current muted coloration.
I've read a couple papers that discredit this claim, indicating S. spp females ovaries are fully developed around 20cm, which correlates when we started to see distinct chromatic development around that time.

Andrew_Murphy

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2007
Boston, Ma
Alright folks I finally have some pictures as an offering for your much appreciated input. These are all phone pictures so go easy. Other teleosts in exhibit were all donations, confiscations, or rescues from hobbyists or other institutions.

Day of introduction. Largest was ~50cm if I remember correctly.

First day of arrival ~10cm

2nd Largest animal currently ~ 70cm

In GIF form (the only reference I can give for scale is the white pipe below the animal is a section of 4" pipe we use to feed vegetation to some of the other animals within collection)

Oh my these are awful pics...

4 months into grow out.

6 months into grow out.

Last edited:

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Wow!! That is a beastly setup. These doradoes look quite healthy and happy. I'm a bit curious as to the coloration development on them. They don't seem to be that golden even at the said 70-80cm size. Interesting to note though, I have one currently that already shows a bit more gold especially from the underside and cheeks at a smaller size 35-37cm.

Andrew_Murphy

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2007
Boston, Ma
Wow!! That is a beastly setup. These doradoes look quite healthy and happy. I'm a bit curious as to the coloration development on them. They don't seem to be that golden even at the said 70-80cm size. Interesting to note though, I have one currently that already shows a bit more gold especially from the underside and cheeks at a smaller size 35-37cm.
Thanks! Would love to see a shot or two of yours, a detail of the head and full body if you can manage.

Yesterday definitely wasn't the best day to take shots; very cloudy. The supplemental lighting up front also manages to slightly mute the color. Their true color is a few shades darker than the first shot, and similar to what you are seeing, it's most pronounced/developed on ocercula and anterior ventral section. I wouldn't call it gold just yet, maybe bronze/copper ;).

If handling stress wasn't such a big issue with these animals I'd love to do monthly scale sampling/skin scrapes to see how the melanophores are developing.

Good news though, if I can't solve this by conventional means, we might send out some tissue samples for PCR. The genome of S. franciscanus and S. brasiliensis has been sequenced so at least we'll have something to compare it to.

I'm sending in our diver today with a go-pro to hopefully get some better detail shots.

Cheers,
Andrew

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store