Salminus Questions for the Community

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Pointy or not seems they're all "Brasiliensis".

The ones I have now are also pointy beaked.....

Reactions: Andrew_Murphy

Andrew_Murphy

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2007
Boston, Ma
Made some gifs with what looks like a kodak disposable camera through a grain filter...Apologies for the quality. Enjoy!

Feeding
http://imgur.com/SY3aGEE

Post-Feeding
http://imgur.com/9I53gvu

Note the tails, especially lower lobe on the mid-size class males and that on the second gif you will actually get a better idea of what their true-er to life coloration looks like. Within the first couple months of the animals being added to the exhibit the terminal caudal filaments were all bitten off, finally starting to see a few of the largest individuals growing these back.

Two noteworthy specimens in the second gif. You can see my 3rd largest(maybe 2nd its hard to tell here) female make a brief appearance coming in from the right side of the frame. As she crosses the center point on the left side you can see the smallest animal, who I am impressed has managed to survive and compete with the ever growing population. A true survivor(for now).

Cheers,
Andrew

Last edited:
Reactions: moe214

Andrew_Murphy

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2007
Boston, Ma
Pointy or not seems they're all "Brasiliensis".

The ones I have now are also pointy beaked.....
I wouldn't go so far as to say all Salminus sp. being imported are S. brasiliensis, however from what I can glean from this forum and imports it seems the current imports are skewed toward this species. Would not be surprised if S. franciscanus were still being imported as well, especially since they likely still constitute a majority share in total captive production.

Once I get this corydoras project sorted out I will get the ball rolling on putting together some generalized metrics for further evaluating and diagnosing these species beyond Chicxulubs great guide. For now the only concrete diagnostic I can provide is dentition, but unfortunately that is only useful with sub-adult/adult animals.

Also I would like to apologize for only making more of a mess for positively ID'ing these animals haha I know its been a bit of a rollercoaster for all of us! So it goes with taxonomy I suppose.

Cheers,
Andrew

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I wouldn't go so far as to say all Salminus sp. being imported are S. brasiliensis, however from what I can glean from this forum and imports it seems the current imports are skewed toward this species. Would not be surprised if S. franciscanus were still being imported as well, especially since they likely still constitute a majority share in total captive production.

Once I get this corydoras project sorted out I will get the ball rolling on putting together some generalized metrics for further evaluating and diagnosing these species beyond Chicxulubs great guide. For now the only concrete diagnostic I can provide is dentition, but unfortunately that is only useful with sub-adult/adult animals.

Also I would like to apologize for only making more of a mess for positively ID'ing these animals haha I know its been a bit of a rollercoaster for all of us! So it goes with taxonomy I suppose.

Cheers,
Andrew
Think he's using a bit of sarcasm as everything is labeled brassi basically

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Think he's using a bit of sarcasm as everything is labeled brassi basically
Basically? I've only seen Frankies advertised ONE time, that was when Wes had both species available.....

All I know is whatever the hell I had from Southern Argentina was wayyyyy different then what I have now and what I have now looks just like the last like 20 I've had over the last like 10 years...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store