Salmon tail catfish care

aykinhk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2018
Hi, i just got a australia salmon tail catfish 2 days
Any one has more idea how to care it
It's about 15cm now ,
I know they are bottom eater, I put some sinking pellet but didn't seem interested
Are they like to eat at dark or night time??
Are they a hardy catfish, first time own this catfish
Would like more information
Also my pecock bass seems target on catfish,keep following it around
Will that be a problem ???

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

I will add that most catfish are nocturnal so I assume that it would like to be in a dim or no light environment. As for the peacock bass following your catfish around, it could be an issue if your catfish can't hide or get away from the bass.

Reactions: Rob909 and tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Maybe still getting used to ur tank. Shoaling sp when small. Nocturnal by nature. Will switch to daytime feeding eventually. Has been mentioned to follow other fish. Don’t think it’ll be a problem. Maybe searching for some left over food, opportunistic. Will ask victor for his valued opinion, thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter .

aykinhk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2018
Thank guys, will keep moniting , just worry the bass will kill the salmontail, they are both similar size, hope they will get fine each other
What's will be the best food idea?blood worms??

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thank guys, will keep moniting , just worry the bass will kill the salmontail, they are both similar size, hope they will get fine each other
What's will be the best food idea?blood worms??
Once settled. It’ll be a good start and maybe some cut up tilapia or earthworms.

Reactions: aykinhk

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Salmontail appears to be a common / vernacular name used for the catfish genus of Arius but maybe some other genus (Neoarius?) too. It'd be nice to know the taxonomic name of your catfish.

If your water lacks toxins and is well aerated and there is no other stress factors (too bright light, bullying, etc.), the catfish should start feeding within a week, two at most. I'd continue offering it pellets and thawed fish, cut if needed.

If the pbass and the catfish are of similar size, I'd not think the pbass would try to prey on the catfish. Other than that, I'd think there is nothing to worry about with respect to the interaction of the two.

Reactions: aykinhk and kno4te

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Salmon tail catfish if you are referring to Arius Leptaspis will be a big fish (around 2.5 ft) and some move into brackish conditions as they grow but it should be possible to keep in freshwater although like Columbian shark catfish they tend not to seem as happy in freshwater when larger.
watch for whitespot. If anything like Columbian shark cats they prefer company of their own kind and sulk when kept alone, and therefore get stressed and come out in Whitespot easily.

Reactions: aykinhk and kno4te

aykinhk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2018
Will upload some photo later and please Id for me please , fish store only mentioned as a salmon tail catfish,not sure is Aruis or others , staff has said it can reach yp to 2 ft in future

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Such a cool catfish. I can see Hemibagrus wyckii in it as well as channel catfish too.

Almost no one ever reports on marine catfish Ariidae, few ever keep them.

My knee jerk take on the ID is maybe Neoarius berneyi https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=27 or Neoarius graeffei https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=2960 but to know for sure, post pics on Planet Catfish.

If you don't want to join (albeit I highly recommend it, if one wants to grow in catfish knowledge and hobby), I can post your pics for you.

Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store