salt water pond

JustinL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2005
Cocoa, FL
I know a guy that lives near me with a huge outdoor pond. The groundwater around our area has saltwater intrusion, so his artisian well brings up brackish/saltwater up from the ground into his pond which is about 200 ft by 50 ft. He keeps native fish that come from the brackish waters around here. He has tarpon, snook, cobia, tripletail, jacks, snappers, stingrays, red drums, and black drums in it. He feeds them scraps of yellowfin tuna he gets from the charters he runs.

Music Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2006
Olympia Washington
you almost need to pump in water directly from the bay then filter it UV it and finaly test it in a holding tank, then you need to run in tons of quality RO/DI to another holding tank for topoffs, that could get pricey but if it's affordable??? the sky is the limit, I would definitly do it with enough resources it's just with a pond you get evap and humidity to controll if it's outdoors in say, Florida then you will definitly go through some evap and indoors the condensation and humidity could be a nightmare, I would go to a working one similar to what you want and see how they did it, then decide if it's what you want.

Music Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2006
Olympia Washington
oh, yeah, if it's out doors you might run into some temperature issues with fish that aren't hardy enough like goldfish and catfish to take the swing in the water oxygen levels.

Aras118119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2006
Kansas
It would be awesome if you could build a pond right up next to your house and have a viewing window similar to a window well so you could see them easily.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store