salt water pond

kentobizmol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
san jose, CA
yeah; my friend also has a saltwater pond but it's pretty small. PLUS he lives right by the ocean, with some natives in it.

Tat2d

Feeder Fish
Jan 28, 2006
Baghdad Iraq, Army
As soon as I get back to the states, I am hoping to setup a saltwater pond for smoothhound sharks, there s a guy with a 35,000 gallon indoor shark pond and a 18,000 gallon shark qt pond, he's pn a few message boards, I think his username is mattiej. Saltwater ponds are doable, just not exactly practical.

grenade3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
ventura, california
i saw one on one of those dreamhome shows on hgtv. it was in Hawaii and it was about 20x20 and 8 feet deep. it was in the entrace of the house in the open, it had mostly aggressive fish like triggers and wrasses and damsels but it was so huge that it was able to support coral and coral fishes and the tangs and stuff did not bother it. also it had the natural hawaiian sun to light it, then as if that wasnt enough when you went bellow the house into a wine cellar and it had an acrylic wall not visible from above and it looked like a huge aquarium and there was a viewing room in the cellar. pretty much any mfk'ers dream!!!!

dacox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Illinois
grenade3 said:
i saw one on one of those dreamhome shows on hgtv. it was in Hawaii and it was about 20x20 and 8 feet deep. it was in the entrace of the house in the open, it had mostly aggressive fish like triggers and wrasses and damsels but it was so huge that it was able to support coral and coral fishes and the tangs and stuff did not bother it. also it had the natural hawaiian sun to light it, then as if that wasnt enough when you went bellow the house into a wine cellar and it had an acrylic wall not visible from above and it looked like a huge aquarium and there was a viewing room in the cellar. pretty much any mfk'ers dream!!!!
JEEEEEZ. That would seriously be a dream home. Did they mention what type of maintnance they do on it? A LFS near me has several indoor sw ponds. One tide pool type pond with smaller anemones, crustaceans, etc, a ray pond with several species of rays and a HUGE porcupine fish, and a shark pond with black tip, nurse, and leopard sharks. I couldn't imagine the maintnance that these ponds require though.

Princley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
us
when i worked for Clearwater Fish and Pond supply in Beaverton Oregon we had a 4600 gal saltwater pond ( tmeprate).. we had about 10 other ponds on the property one fresh pond was 26000 gall that had rainbow trout and a 6 foot sturgen that salt pond was GREAT we had many fish and inverts is in on the top of the pond we used coragatet fiber glass like to build a green house to keep rain out... this company still lives on i believe it's called Sunset koi gardens now

Don4921

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Tampa
Ash said:
Yup I also live in FL (YAY I AM SO HAPPY TO SEE FL PEOPLE ON HERE FINALLYYYYYYYYYYYYY) ne ways so I took a trip down to the keys to Marine Camp (you gotta go one time its the shizz) and they had this HUGE HUGE Tide Pool looking pond along with a ray pond, it was pretty cool. Then also another cool thing was that they blocked off a saltwater section with nets and you could dive down and there was this underwater hotel - not kidding, it was the coolest thing I ve ever seen its like the people were in the tank and fish were observing them :grinyes:
i live in florida too! Kool idea about a sw pond!

Don4921

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Tampa
how can you build one requirements? i would like to setup a small outdoor pond to quarantine my fish(not enough room inside) any suggestions would be great :thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store