Salt Water vs. Fresh Water let the debate begin

Dezel98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2005
New Jersey
I greatly appreciate everyones input on this one. Once I do some research I think I may just try a small salt water tank at first.

Is there a minimum suggested size for a Salt Water set up???? Im thinking about doing a 10-20gal tank............ :headbang2

I3u11he4d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Michigan
Dezel98 said:
I greatly appreciate everyones input on this one. Once I do some research I think I may just try a small salt water tank at first.

Is there a minimum suggested size for a Salt Water set up???? Im thinking about doing a 10-20gal tank............ :headbang2
Most will tell you the bigger the better or at least a 55 gal. but what you want to do would fall into the realm of a nano reef.These can be very stable if precautions are taken(mostly temp.)I am very intrested in doing a nano myself but I was tinking more of a 5 gal.Most important thing to remember is not to stock to heavily,much less than normal levels.1 to 3 fish max. depending on type and size.lots of live rock ( .5 to 1 lb. per gal) lots of live sand are a must.There are articales that state having a nano of 1 to 3 gals. up and running for 5 yrs. with no water changes,just top offs,no skimmer or filtration at all except for the biological filtration in the tank.They only had 1 small fish and maybe a shrimp or crab,the stocking level was very lite thou.So it can be done at that size it just limits what you are able to do with it.

Dezel98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2005
New Jersey
What do you guys think the initial cost for a 10 gal nano reef tank would be. All I have is the tank, nothing else..........

Vince

Most Wanted
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Illegal
www.wofc.org
There is NO problem raising and keeping salt water setups!. It's the invertebrates that are most captivating for me :), and most difficult to keep because of their sensitity to water temp fluctuations, including parameters. Fish, not a problem, it is as easy as freshwater, except mixing the salt, during water changes, and amking sure you have the "just right" salinity.

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
You have to be a much better SW aquarium keeper to maintain a small SW than a large one. I have far more problems/maintainence with my smaller (12 and 27 gallon) tanks than my 75 or 90. Plus in a tank that size you will only have room for 1 fish or so. I would definately get the twenty. I think the biggest problem with SW aquariums is people put in WAY too many fish, saltwater holds much less oxgen than freshwater.
Ok you need;
-Salt (duh :)
-Substrate
-Hydrometer
-Filter
-Sm skimmer
-Heater
-Lid/canopy
-Light
-Decor or Live rock, I would get the rock, it's a natural filter plus it comes with all kinds of cool critters.

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
salt has never interested me at all, seems more fuss than it's worth. Having a seperate holding tank just to do water changes to make sure the salinity is right?

I like looking at fish, watching them eat, not doing intricate water changes and fussing over water parameters.

Although I can't deny - of course like everyone else I've been wowed by the odd SW tank with live rock, anenomes and a multitude of active, pretty, colourful fish. It's quite a site, no doubt about it.

It's just not for me though, I love predators, and have all I need in freshwater.

But... I LOVE triggers.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I have never done this so anybody see any flaws or missed items please chime in. this is for Dezel's 10g nano question, he has the tank.
20"hood and sho compact power flouresent light $40
air pump $10
air driven miniskimmer $15
heater $15
40-50gph hang on filter $40
15 lbs arogonite or crushed coral $18
16-20 lbs select live rock $70
enough marine salt mix and buffers and conditioner for filling the tank 5 times $20
refractometer and various test kits $60
thermometer $2
2 blue legged hermits $4
2 peppermint shrimp $6
5 astrea turbo snails $5
a pair of neon gobies $25
1 court jester goby $25
total= $355

I think that I would stick to FW for now.

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
OK I think you guys know where I stand on this....... FW. I like the interaction of my fish and I like seeing them spawn and raise the fry.

You salt guys have a harder row to hoe so my hat goes off to you but I don't want to keep fish that have to be nearly posioned to be cought but thats just me.

Look at me .... a gun toating pit bull shooting guy that catches bugs and puts them outside because I feel bad for killing them. :screwy:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store