(saltwater? I dunno if i should post here.) Lionfish compatibility and other questions

Tom the bomb

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
I'm setting up a Red Sea Reefer Deluxe XXL 750 (200-gallons) and I'm planning to put a clearfin lionfish as the main fish.
I was originally thinking of Niger triggerfish since they were the least aggressive of the triggerfish but after browsing through some forums, they often said that triggers+lions were a bad pair. There were some with success but it was mostly luck. So i was thinking of an angelfish (emperor or koran), a blue tang, a yellow tang and a powder blue surgeon. Would that work with the lion?
I asked people on Reddit about porcupine puffers with the lionfish and they said it was ok as long as I avoid the dogface or any small puffers that might nip at the lion. Would a porcupine puffer or burrfish work? Like would they nip at the lion? Anyone have any success doing this?
Also what are some other good tank mates for the lionfish? Would an angler/ frogfish be fine?

I was also thinking of rays (cortez) buts it too hard...
If the puffer is a yes, then my second question is: If I keep corals but no other inverts would the puffer try to eat the corals
What corals are safe with the puffer...

Also, for heating, (I know its a stupid question) what if I keep the heater in the refugium of the sump (would it work or am I just stupid)
Also i know a refugium is optional but if i have one what should I stock it with?
Also what are some good macroalgae?

I've also heard it's hard to get the lionfish to eat and some suggested dead ghost shrimp???

Oh yes I for got to add: Red sea reefers have no lid but I really want a chainink or zebra moray eel too.
I heard they make good tank mates for lions but there needs to be lots of caves and it needs to be covered.
Im getting the net cover would that be enough? the net's really sturdy too...

I have kept sw before but it was a small tank with 3 clowns in a 20 gallon with a cleaner shrimp and an anemone...

Tom the bomb

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
So ya i want a clearfin lion with possible im hoping for zebra moray eel or a porcupine puffer idf compatible
Pls try to answer all questions if u can...

Last edited:

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I'm setting up a Red Sea Reefer Deluxe XXL 750 (200-gallons) and I'm planning to put a clearfin lionfish as the main fish.
I was originally thinking of Niger triggerfish since they were the least aggressive of the triggerfish but after browsing through some forums, they often said that triggers+lions were a bad pair. There were some with success but it was mostly luck. So i was thinking of an angelfish (emperor or koran), a blue tang, a yellow tang and a powder blue surgeon. Would that work with the lion? The tangs should be OK with a lionfish
I asked people on Reddit about porcupine puffers with the lionfish and they said it was ok as long as I avoid the dogface or any small puffers that might nip at the lion. Would a porcupine puffer or burrfish work? Like would they nip at the lion? Anyone have any success doing this?
Also what are some other good tank mates for the lionfish? Would an angler/ frogfish be fine? Lionfish and porcupine puffer should be fine with caution, possible but unlikely the puffer will nip the lion

I was also thinking of rays (cortez) buts it too hard...
If the puffer is a yes, then my second question is: If I keep corals but no other inverts would the puffer try to eat the corals
What corals are safe with the puffer... Corals + puffer It's hit or miss, not recommended to keep corals with a puffer. The puffer might "taste test" the corals a lot, they have big mouths and can kill a coral with a couple of these tests. Shrimps and snails crabs etc (which you will want in a reef tank) will be eaten for sure

Also, for heating, (I know its a stupid question) what if I keep the heater in the refugium of the sump (would it work or am I just stupid)
Also i know a refugium is optional but if i have one what should I stock it with? Heater in fuge in sump is fine, most people grow macroalgae in their fuge to absorb nutrients and provide home for pods
Also what are some good macroalgae? Chaetomorpha, gracilaria

I've also heard it's hard to get the lionfish to eat and some suggested dead ghost shrimp??? All the lionfish I've taken care of have been good eaters they like silversides and meaty food. If you had a problem there are lots of foods you could try

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store