Salvini cichlid in a 140 gallon medium sized cichlid community

Cichlid_Guy

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2019
Finland
Here is a picture of my tank and its habitants. There is a lot of hiding space and some unoccupied terratory also for the Salvini if I get her. Firemouths terratory is at left, Blue Acaras are spawning and control the back side of the tank, and Sajicas are about to spawn in the frontern middle part. Currently no one has an established terratory on the right side. Could adding the Salvini work better if I wouldn't sell the Rainbow cichlids? I think that then the Salvini would be less likely to target the Firemouths.

Tank dimensions: 60x24x24 inches
A picture from a different angle. (Sorry for the spotty glass)

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
View attachment 1371210
Here is a picture of my tank and its habitants. There is a lot of hiding space and some unoccupied terratory also for the Salvini if I get her. Firemouths terratory is at left, Blue Acaras are spawning and control the back side of the tank, and Sajicas are about to spawn in the frontern middle part. Currently no one has an established terratory on the right side. Could adding the Salvini work better if I wouldn't sell the Rainbow cichlids? I think that then the Salvini would be less likely to target the Firemouths.

View attachment 1371211
Lovely tank! I think that it could be worth a try, the tank is well set up and provides lots of cover and breaks of sight so it could work. A 60” x 24” x 24” is 150 gallons, not 140.

Reactions: Cichlid_Guy

Cichlid_Guy

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2019
Finland
Lovely tank! I think that it could be worth a try, the tank is well set up and provides lots of cover and breaks of sight so it could work. A 60” x 24” x 24” is 150 gallons, not 140.
Thank you! My tank is 540 liters, that is 143 in gallons and my measurements were not that accurate (I roundend them up slightly)

Reactions: Bertie07

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Well, I think I could maybe give it a try. At least I dont think that the Salvini will kill anyone because she has lived for a long time with a much smaller texas cichlid in the fish shop. Hopefully the Salvini will respect the Firemouths' territory. I must consider these things more before I make the final decision because I don't want to impulse buy any fish.
Firemouths are rather rambunctious fish. A group of them curbs the aggression of a salvini. If the salvini is really shy, it may get bullied itself. I had to remove a firemouth because he kept a female salvini at the top corner of the tank.
It all comes down to the individual fish too. IMO salvini are ok w/ others if you give them a 6’ tank and plenty of hiding spots.

Cichlid_Guy

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2019
Finland
Firemouths are rather rambunctious fish. A group of them curbs the aggression of a salvini. If the salvini is really shy, it may get bullied itself. I had to remove a firemouth because he kept a female salvini at the top corner of the tank.
It all comes down to the individual fish too. IMO salvini are ok w/ others if you give them a 6’ tank and plenty of hiding spots.
Thanks for the info. I will go to the fish shop today and try to comfirm that the fish is a female. If im not sure about its sex, I will not risk it.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
View attachment 1371210

View attachment 1371211
Tank looks cool. I think you have a good amount of cover and hiding spots if you want to try it.
I wouldn't do it if it was my tank but your set up probably gives you a better chance of it working.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I think you must have a vey chilled salvini. I was genuinely shocked at their aggression when I had them. Cool fish though, I sort of wish I got rid of the other fish and kept the Salvini. I will try them again one day but choose the tank atec more wisely.

Reactions: Bertie07

Cichlid_Guy

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2019
Finland
I decided to get the fish, and I bought it yesterday. She did not show any aggression and everything was fine for a while until every cichlid exept the Rainbows started chasing her relentlessly. I had to turn of the lights so that the other fish could not see her. This morning things had calmed down a bit and she was hiding in a cave and flaring at a Blue Acara female. Hopefully things will go well and the Salvini gets her own territory while not being overly aggressive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store