Same fish?

lightsout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Amazon
Is the fish flavicans essentially the same fish as Brachyplatystoma rousseauxii/dorado catfish?

Anyone here grow one out? Going to purchase a small 3"

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
Yes it the same fish. Believe was changed 2005. I have one currently 8.5-9 range im growing. Very unique fish

Reactions: lightsout

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Agree. Flavicans is just an old name, aka junior synonym. Fish often get assigned new names as the science of taxonomy is evolving and improving with time.

Quite a few people attempted to grow these out. Perhaps, even excluding accidental deaths, poor husbandry, and insufficiently large tanks, only 1 in 1000 succeeded in getting them to 1.5'-2'. The main problems are: they are skittish and smash into everything in their path as they flee perceived danger breaking their snout and jaws and they are timid being often a victim of tank mate aggression.

I'm on my second try currently. I lost the first at ~6". My current is ~4"-5".

In the wild, they can rival piraiba (max ~8'-9') with the max sizes of ~7'-8'.

lightsout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Amazon
Agree. Flavicans is just an old name, aka junior synonym. Fish often get assigned new names as the science of taxonomy is evolving and improving with time.

Quite a few people attempted to grow these out. Perhaps, even excluding accidental deaths, poor husbandry, and insufficiently large tanks, only 1 in 1000 succeeded in getting them to 1.5'-2'. The main problems are: they are skittish and smash into everything in their path as they flee perceived danger breaking their snout and jaws and they are timid being often a victim of tank mate aggression.

I'm on my second try currently. I lost the first at ~6". My current is ~4"-5".

In the wild, they can rival piraiba (max ~8'-9') with the max sizes of ~7'-8'.
Interesting info. Thanks for that.

What kind if growth rate should I expect? And at this small size are they easy to get on non live food?

As for them being timid, id assume a tank with lots of flow could help calm them down? Similar to african tigerfish

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
Growth is slow. In 2 months will be a year for mine and 8.5-9in. Got him at about 4in. When small live is the way usually so they put on some mass. When I got mine he was already eating mystis shrimp and krill so I'm not really sure how hard they are to get off live. But I can say he is a pig lol. Good water flow and blacked out back and sides did well for me as well as providing several slate caves when small. As the fish grows reduce them. This helps with calming them down. Used this method with tigrinis, capapretum as well. As the fish grows so does there confidence. Rarely will he go crazy the way he use to but is much better than when I got him.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Again, I agree :)

One may expect it reaching 1' in the first year, slower (?) from there. No firsthand experience, no reports by others have I come across.

I've had no problem with non-live foods. From the start, I offered pellets and cut fish, even when mine were 1.5". They take them fine within days to a week. I believe this is the way to go with every fish. When everything is steady, both mine too, like Herman's, fed (feed) fine, no problem at all.

Their nervousness is hard to help. I like your idea of the current and what Herman did too. Ideally, no aggressive tank mates and being very careful around the tank may help minimize the darting and smashing.

Last edited:

lightsout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Amazon
This is my little guy. Hes about 2.5" or so.

Is this color normal for this size? Ive noticed some dorado are more platinum looking then others. When can i expect the color to change?

Screenshot_20170205-184007.png

Reactions: herman moorr
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store