Same fish?

lightsout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Amazon
At about 4 they hit normal coloration from what I have seen. Nice pickup. What has he been eating?
Alright good to know. Just picked him up yesterday afternoon.

I havent offered any food yet. Figured id give him some time to settle in. Going to attempt to.offer cut fish or pellets tonight.

Suggestions?

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
Alright good to know. Just picked him up yesterday afternoon.

I havent offered any food yet. Figured id give him some time to settle in. Going to attempt to.offer cut fish or pellets tonight.

Suggestions?
Cool. At that size I would try the cut fish,krill, or mystis shrimp.Ive heard of people having luck with blackworms and bloodworms as well

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
This is my little guy. Hes about 2.5" or so.

Is this color normal for this size? Ive noticed some dorado are more platinum looking then others. When can i expect the color to change?

View attachment 1230570
I'm not sure. I am kind of confused. I bought two from Raymond Chan at 1.5" last Summer/Fall. They were tiny but looked the same metallic... unless I am losing it... I don't recall that dorado look differently when small. Tigs do - they have no stripes.

Well, you already got it, so let's hope we will see what it grows into :)

Reactions: lightsout

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
I've definitely seen the difference in some species with this fish at local aquatics distribution that I go to. There was even a thread on here..fish came up as Id and was about 2in. If I can find I will post. Some appear more dark grey than metallic silver at that size. Don't know if it's a collection points or what but I've personally seen that. This may be what lightsout is seeing.

lightsout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Amazon
Thanks guys. Well here's a short video. Offered cut fish and a few bloodworms yesterday and no luck. Thinking of possibly going bare bottom for the time being to help him see the food better. Last resort I guess will be feeders.

Not sure if you can tell but the bottom half of his body has the metallic sheen some parts of the top seem to be showing up as well. Let me know what you think. Again he's tiny, about 2.5 inches.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you both. I've learned something new. The fish in the video does look like a rousseauxii / dorado, so I'd not worry about the ID.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store