sand vs gravel?

gravel or sand in fresh water aquarium?

• Total voters

Saintsaber

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2010
Flordia
Sand to me has a more natural sexy look!

dragonsong

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
PA
Sand, I just love the look and it's so much easier to clean.

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
sand is the best substrate for me, but check your filters impellers i bet there is sand.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I have a tank with sand, and one with gravel and i have to say the tank with sand is almost easier to clean coz every thing stays above the sand so after cleaning the top its just a matter of stirring up the sand to release any trapped gas pockets...

The Gravel some may say is easier to clean, but imo, i find it a little more work coz you have to keep going over the same areas to make sure you get all the junk out from underneath it...

But to answer your question, i don't think sand would work with an under gravel filter, coz it would most likely get sucked into your filter?

johnnycoolxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
Grandma's Basement
I have black sand (3M Colorquartz sand) and it's awesome. I used to have brown gravel, but if I got behind on waterchanges, all the fish poop and rotten food would go into the cracks of the gravel and stay there. With sand, especially if you have a pretty good current, most of the poop will stay on top and eventually make its way to one of your filters to be picked up.

Also, the type of fish I have makes sand an easy choice. I have geos and bichirs. The geos love to dig for food in the sand and spit it out, and my bichirs search for food on the sand and I don't have to worry about a big piece of gravel being stuck in their throats. Plus, black sand/black background really makes geos and bichirs color up nicely, much better than gravel IMO.

GVerde

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
Chicago
I switched from gravel to sand and will never go back. I found that gravel traps a lot of fish debris and uneaten food which translates into higher nitrates. Even cleaning the gravel throughly you will still tend to miss a lot.

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
so I have been looking around and have seen alot of people with sand instead

of gravel so i pose the question to all: witch is better and why?

and if you do have sand is it possible to use a under the gravel filter with it ?

Yes, sand can be used in an UG filter as long as the grains aren't so small that they fall through the slits on the UG plate. If you want to use finer sand, you will need to cover the plate with a nylon mesh, so that the particles won't fall through.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store