Saratoga/Barra tank mates?

Barraboy21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2017
Hi everyone.

First post to MFK here, was just wondering if anyone here has kept saratoga (Lei or Jar) with a barra successfully. I currently have a display tank with a little barra coming on 30cm I was looking at introducing a saratoga of similar size. The tank is 1mx1mx1.2m high which is 1200L. With the tank taller then it is long I'm not sure if will be ideal to keep a fish like this. Any experience or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

A

AquaAlex1993

Which kind of barracuda are you thinking?
I highly recommend a group of red tail barracuda or yellow tails from South America.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
vincentwugwg vincentwugwg festaedan festaedan thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter wednesday13 wednesday13

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hi everyone.

First post to MFK here, was just wondering if anyone here has kept saratoga (Lei or Jar) with a barra successfully. I currently have a display tank with a little barra coming on 30cm I was looking at introducing a saratoga of similar size. The tank is 1mx1mx1.2m high which is 1200L. With the tank taller then it is long I'm not sure if will be ideal to keep a fish like this. Any experience or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Welcome. Over time, barramundi will most likely vastly outgrow the arowana and this will eventually result in predatory attack risk. My barramundi hit 2' from 2" in about 1.5-2 years.

Not sure of the nature of your concern about the tank dimensions (which are odd, I agree). This tank won't hold neither fish for life, IMHO. Both fish should break 2'. By how much, IDK, I'd think at least a foot.

But indeed, I think both fish would appreciate more footprint than depth. Albeit, the arowana aggression might be easier for the barramundi to duck if there is this nice depth.

It's a gamble, mate. We can predict a lot but far not everything. YMMV.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Hi everyone.

Cheers.
Hello Barraboy21. Like Viktor said, the dims on your tank are a bit small if you want to keep the Barra for life. You might have a better chance if the barra's tankmate was the Lei instead of the Jardini. Barra's will hold their own as well tho so that combo may work out. Good luck.

Barraboy21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2017
Welcome. Over time, barramundi will most likely vastly outgrow the arowana and this will eventually result in predatory attack risk. My barramundi hit 2' from 2" in about 1.5-2 years.

Not sure of the nature of your concern about the tank dimensions (which are odd, I agree). This tank won't hold neither fish for life, IMHO. Both fish should break 2'. By how much, IDK, I'd think at least a foot.

But indeed, I think both fish would appreciate more footprint than depth. Albeit, the arowana aggression might be easier for the barramundi to duck if there is this nice depth.

It's a gamble, mate. We can predict a lot but far not everything. YMMV.
Hello Barraboy21. Like Viktor said, the dims on your tank are a bit small if you want to keep the Barra for life. You might have a better chance if the barra's tankmate was the Lei instead of the Jardini. Barra's will hold their own as well tho so that combo may work out. Good luck.
Cheers for the advice guys, appreciate it. Its a nice big display tank but I realise it wont house these fish forever. Where I'm from we see barra caught well over 1.2m in length so I realise how big these monsters can get. I think with the dimensions of the tank they will be quite happy for a year or two before I look at the next crazy upgrade. My main concern is just with two large predatory fish in the one tank but like you guys said cant predict exactly how these fish will co exist together. My bet is if anything the saratoga may bully the barra around a bit.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Mighty Wizard

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Everywhere
With the fish mentioned being mainly top-dwellers, a bottom-dwelling species might be your safest bet where additions are concerned. However i understand that Australian Arowanas, and the Jardini in particular, are known to be extremely aggressive. So it might be a good idea to skip the Bass altogether, or at least wait until you have a bigger tank.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Barramundi are a very fast growing fish. Mine went from an inch to almost 12" in less than a year, and he's not slowing down. The only issue with the aro being bigger is that jardinis are usually pretty mean. I'm not sure about leichardtis but I know people who have had jardinis that had to be kept alone. It certainly could work and I think it's worth a try. I've had my barra with far more interesting and odd tankmates so it would probably work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store