Saving Tadpoles for Feeding Fish

Conagher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
NC
It is almost tadpole season! In the next few weeks there will literally thousands of tadpoles in my pond. I get a scoop of them every couple of days when they are available and feed them to my bichir tank. My fish absolutely LOVE to munch on tadpoles.

I have a question which as of yet I have not been able to find any indication that anyone has ever tried yet. Can you freeze tadpoles, and then thaw them out to feed your fish later when there are no tadpoles to be found in the ponds?
I was thinking about (hoping is feasible) is putting about 6-10 of them into each section of a regular ice cube tray and freeze several trays of them. Then when I want to feed them to the fish simply throw a tadpole cube in a cup of tank water to thaw and dump in the tank.

I am not expecting the tadpoles to survive or anything, but just being 'fresh' enough to feed my fish would be a wonderful year round addition to their diet.

Has anyone ever heard of this being done? Does anyone have any ideas on how to better do this?

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
With the global amphibian decline, allow me to also introduce ethics besides practicality.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
I would not scoop wild tadpoles. As previously stated, all amphibians are in trouble. Its best to leave them be.

Conagher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
NC
wow....
My little pond is about 17' x 15', and is currently an unfinished part of a waterfall & pond water feature I am adding to my backyard. Earlier this week my daughter counted at least 17 toads and frogs in it doing their thing. These are the most common of amphibians around, and I can actually creating more habitat for them by creating this water feature.. I personally see no ethical issues in scooping some of these tadpoles. I do not come close to clearing out the pond of them, and later in the spring there are so many toads and frogs around it is almost a nuisance.

@ AU_Arowana - by freezing them into ice cubes, I was trying to avoid defrosting more than what I would need for a single feeding, specifically for the reason you were concerned about. Sort of a home-made singe serve packet. :)

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I thought it was a great idea till people spoiled it for me by reminding me of the state of the worlds amphibian population.
I have been feeding tree frogs and tadpoles to my fish for eons. Maybe I should rethink it. The frogs gathered on the picture window at night, easy to catch with a fresh insect gutload.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Bullfrog, leopard frog, grey tree frog and American toad numbers are stable and healthy so I have no reason to not use them as feeders. That said its better feed them live ones since tadpoles will be super mushy after thawed out.

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
Most tadpoles dont make it to adulthood, and scooping them from a school wont change their survival numbers which are dependent on the environment. A small percentage survive to adulthood no matter what.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Yes with bullfrogs I find their primary food source in the area where I hunt them are their own tadpoles and younger frogs. They lay 20,000 eggs, and feed on their own algae feeding young. They're nearly self sustaining most of the year.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store