Say goodbye to my fish. :(

jonah h2o

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
san diego California
almost guarantee thats what introduced it. loaches are very prone to Ich and other diseases, heres part of an article about clown loaches.:

"like the company of their own species and can also be kept with other fish. Clown Loaches are fairly easy to keep, but they are prone to ich."

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Not too long ago I setup an new tank with the following.

Rams, lamp eye tetras, angelfish, Cory loaches, Cory catfish.

Well yesterday my sister over fed them. So I vacuumed the waste out the next day when I got back home. And now today I noticed signs of ick. Sadly I have lost 6 fish in 2 days and my hard earned money and my beloved fish are slowing going down the drain.... :( :(
Sorry for your losses :(

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Did you quarantine the loaches?
If not, that may be where the ick came from, as stated by others, ick is a parasite, and overfeeding does not cause ick.
And I also agree, never let anyone feed your fish. I would sometimes leave for 10 days to 2 weeks, and they were fine without feeding at all during that time.
And you are right, the ram has ick.

jonah h2o

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
san diego California
Did you quarantine the loaches?
If not, that may be where the ick came from, as stated by others, ick is a parasite, and overfeeding does not cause ick.
And I also agree, never let anyone feed your fish. I would sometimes leave for 10 days to 2 weeks, and they were fine without feeding at all during that time.
And you are right, the ram has ick.

many people don't have quarantine tanks, especially if you're not keeping expensive fish. I wouldnt mind having one myself but its just another tank and most people (including me) don't want the extra work. thats just how I feel though (although I've never had disease problems)

jonah h2o

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
san diego California
No honestly everything is the same. Other then adding a few loaches.

I would strongly recommend picking up some anti ick stuff, you can find other threads that will recommend some good stuff. some people say that there are only a few that actually work, I use methylene blue for my breeder tank and many people recommend but I've never used anti ich treatment but you should use treatment and not prevention.

d3adlydesignz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2016
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I will try these out and let everyone know how it went. Its just upsetting because this tank is my smallest tank. But I actually I have the most money into this tank. Compared to my other 3. My other 3 tanks never had any problems at all. Other then on fish that was weak and much smaller got bullied.

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
many people don't have quarantine tanks, especially if you're not keeping expensive fish. I wouldnt mind having one myself but its just another tank and most people (including me) don't want the extra work. thats just how I feel though (although I've never had disease problems)
I always stuff extra media in my filters. That way I can get my barebones 10 up and running and fish safe pretty much instantly. OP see if you can find a used 10 or 20 gallon that you can set up on a counter or small sturdy table. Get cheap used filters and have no substrate or complicated equipment and you can save a lot of money.

Also sorry about the fishies, overfeeding by family sucks. My dad once overfed my livebearer tanks, oh man I'm just glad I had live plants... If the ich continues I would try the salt treatment with a temp up to 86 for 2 weeks, should be a sticky I think, too tired to remember but that treatment works great. Remember ich can stick around for a while in the substrate so make sure you vaccum every day.

The Mother Confessor

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2017
UK
Sorry for your loss. Ich is a nasty parasite, and it can be quite hard to treat with sensitive fish in the tank.

I've used Methylene Blue for Ich several times and I highly recommend it, I keep scaleless fish like a BGK and several cats, so it's a must have med for my cupboard as it's the only thing you can use with scaleless and copper sensitive fish. It will work, but it takes a couple of weeks. Keep treating for a week after the last signs of Ich have disappeared, add a little salt and wack the temp up to 30 degrees. Remove anything that will stain, add a few cheap terracotta pots for the fish so they still feel comfortable.

Take something good from your sisters mistake and use this as an opportunity to teach her and help her learn from this. Don't let other people feed your fish without teaching them the correct way to do it first, but I do agree with everyone on this, it's not the food that has caused it, although it probably didn't help the rapid decline as it made the water quality go down.

Again, sorry for your loss. Never nice. I really feel for you.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
My daughter once dumped a bunch of food in my tank. I got what I could out of it, then did a water change and skipped feeding them for the next time.

I didn't lose any fish

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store