scud

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yeah they are pretty much the same as their salt water cousins. I had so many in my salt system after the lights went out and if you turned on any lights in the room that would light the tank enough to see they would be everywhere cleaning, like night janitors. My Mandarin gobies would be out cheerfully munching on them.

Lol one of my favorite reef species the Mandarin Goby. :)

Reactions: twentyleagues

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yeah they are pretty much the same as their salt water cousins. I had so many in my salt system after the lights went out and if you turned on any lights in the room that would light the tank enough to see they would be everywhere cleaning, like night janitors. My Mandarin gobies would be out cheerfully munching on them.

Lol one of my favorite reef species the Mandarin Goby. :)

pescado209

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2017
never heard of these guys. now I'm looking to start a breeding colony to feed along with my guppy breeders .

the oscars, polys . he'll even my goldfish will feast like kings once I get both colonies going. :)

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
never heard of these guys. now I'm looking to start a breeding colony to feed along with my guppy breeders .

the oscars, polys . he'll even my goldfish will feast like kings once I get both colonies going. :)
The Oscars probably won't notice the scuds though. Maybe if the Oscars are babies.

pescado209

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2017
The Oscars probably won't notice the scuds though. Maybe if the Oscars are babies.
my oscars and polys are about 4 inches. still on the smaller side. we will see what happens once I have a colony

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Scuds are super tiny. Smaller than a pinhead. For super small fish they are probably a good food source, I couldn't imagine buying them to feed my cichlids or anything larger than an inch.
I had a colony explode in a 4g nano tank I had and bought some danios to eat them. Looked like an infestation of bugs on my glass. Some people seem to like them though. To each his own.

jimmie d wad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2011
south of heaven
I live in ND we have these in many prarie ponds and devils lake. I have caught 8 lb northerns with scud being the only thing in their bellies. I have had so many in my systems before it was like a cloud. to me having them is a sign of a healthy system. they hang on plants. They are a great source of food for angels,discus, small fish, ect. Fish like larger cichlids probably will not notice them, although in the wild they can be the main source of food for pan fish. For perch esspecially around here. These guys are the reason our yellow perch reach 2+ lbs and 14+ inches. I have never had luck bringing them home from the lake without plants in what they are being transported in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store