'SEA-style' Shower/Trickle Filter, 8 month review

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Would you say that these could handle flow from an FX6?
Yes I would think so. The flow rate of the FX6 as far as I can see online is about 2130 l/h (563 gph), after deducting for foam, bio media & some head pressure). Before my current pump (which also feeds a UV sterilizer), I was using a smaller 2000 l/hr (528 gph) pump going directly to the OHF, which worked quite nicely for feeding all 5 tray stacks -- I tried 1,500 l/hr pumps but they weren't enough.

In fact I did briefly consider to use a Sunsun 704a canister to feed the OHF, but decided not to due to several reasons:
1) I'm sure much harder to get the 704a primed; however with self-priming FX6 this might not be an issue.
2) I prefer to have the 704a's return in the tank to provide more current/water flow; if connected to the OHF you lose that and only get surface agitation from the OHF's gravity fed water, not much in the way of extra current/water distribution (which is why I also put a small wave maker in the tank right where the OHF water comes down, then it pushes the water across the bottom & mid levels of the tank.
3) When you do maintenance on one, both canister and OHF would need to be shut down; not ideal and kind of kills the idea of redundancy.

None of these actually make it impossible or bad, but at least in my situation it wasn't preferable.

Reactions: TexasMFK31

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
Yes I would think so. The flow rate of the FX6 as far as I can see online is about 2130 l/h (563 gph), after deducting for foam, bio media & some head pressure). Before my current pump (which also feeds a UV sterilizer), I was using a smaller 2000 l/hr (528 gph) pump going directly to the OHF, which worked quite nicely for feeding all 5 tray stacks -- I tried 1,500 l/hr pumps but they weren't enough.

In fact I did briefly consider to use a Sunsun 704a canister to feed the OHF, but decided not to due to several reasons:
1) I'm sure much harder to get the 704a primed; however with self-priming FX6 this might not be an issue.
2) I prefer to have the 704a's return in the tank to provide more current/water flow; if connected to the OHF you lose that and only get surface agitation from the OHF's gravity fed water, not much in the way of extra current/water distribution (which is why I also put a small wave maker in the tank right where the OHF water comes down, then it pushes the water across the bottom & mid levels of the tank.
3) When you do maintenance on one, both canister and OHF would need to be shut down; not ideal and kind of kills the idea of redundancy.

None of these actually make it impossible or bad, but at least in my situation it wasn't preferable.
I've got an elaborate system I am planning to setup. This device may replace a planter box instead and this is in no way intended to be primary filtration. But, the FX6 would take water from a bottom tank and to this overhead which would trickle into the 125. Through the 125 and through a matten filter back down to the bottom tank. The inlet to the FX6 would be behind a matten filter as well so there should be more than enough bio. May stick to the overhead planter just to increase WC requirements with plants. Still in the thought phase, but was curious if this would work as such. Thanks again!

Reactions: islandguy11

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
Hate to derail but can we see your arowanas islandguy

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Hate to derail but can we see your arowanas islandguy
Hey sikoko, just saw your post, here's some recent shots (except top view shots, which are from May). They're still young (~1.5 yr. old) so should only get more colorful:

Golden Head Xback:

GHXB Right side 15 Aug 2019 b m.jpg

GHXB Left Side Aug 2019 m.jpg

GHXB 5 May 2019 m.jpg

Blue Base Gold Xback:

BBXB Left side far 15 Aug 2019 a med.jpg

BBXB April 2019 med.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: kno4te

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I've got an elaborate system I am planning to setup. This device may replace a planter box instead and this is in no way intended to be primary filtration. But, the FX6 would take water from a bottom tank and to this overhead which would trickle into the 125. Through the 125 and through a matten filter back down to the bottom tank. The inlet to the FX6 would be behind a matten filter as well so there should be more than enough bio. May stick to the overhead planter just to increase WC requirements with plants. Still in the thought phase, but was curious if this would work as such. Thanks again!
That sounds interesting, if you get this system up and running please share pix/info here or another thread.

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
That sounds interesting, if you get this system up and running please share pix/info here or another thread.

Does it count if you don't share/brag about it on the internet? Lol. It's still a year or so out. But I'll tag you in the initial post islandguy11 islandguy11

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Does it count if you don't share/brag about it on the internet? Lol. It's still a year or so out. But I'll tag you in the initial post islandguy11 islandguy11
It sure does bro, what matters most is what works for you and your fish, the sharing and learning from each other is a side benefit.

Reactions: TexasMFK31
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store