MFK Member
Jul 24, 2020
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
So I have a 10 gal aquarium with a pleco, a betta and two cory cats, recently I have noted ich on my pleco and do not want it to spread but I do not have another tank to quarantine it in. I have seen paraguard but know it is bad for inverts, and there is also a snail, a crayfish, and some ghost shrimp in there. I have a small bowl I used as a nursery for some ghost shrimp but that would not be adecuate for the pleco so I can just move all the inverts to there while I treat the tank. I guess my question is, how long does paraguard last in the water before I can but the inverts back in with everything else? What procedures would I have to follow to clean the water of it? And is there a method to rid ich that does not require medication, or a medication that does not harm inverts? Sorry for the long post I’m relatively new to this lol

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I have a 10 gal aquarium with a pleco, a betta and two cory cats, recently I have noted ich on my pleco and do not want it to spread but I do not have another tank to quarantine it in. I have seen paraguard but know it is bad for inverts, and there is also a snail, a crayfish, and some ghost shrimp in there. I have a small bowl I used as a nursery for some ghost shrimp but that would not be adecuate for the pleco so I can just move all the inverts to there while I treat the tank. I guess my question is, how long does paraguard last in the water before I can but the inverts back in with everything else? What procedures would I have to follow to clean the water of it? And is there a method to rid ich that does not require medication, or a medication that does not harm inverts? Sorry for the long post I’m relatively new to this lol
kno4te kno4te

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It should be dose weekly if ich still present. So I’d wait a week. Do water changes and/or add carbon to remove the medication prior to adding the inverts back. The other option to treat ich is to use salt, heat and some time. Other meds use malachite green and copper which aren’t invert safe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store