Seachem Stability: PUT TO THE TEST/blank slate (daily perams/pics)

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
BIG BUMP!
I will use Stability to start a 180G, & want to verify some details
:

For use with Stability you should be using "clean" filtering media not established as the Stability bacteria may not "take" if they have to fight or get eaten by another form of bacteria.
^ that quote is about the main filter media.
would it be OK to put driftwood, with some BB on it, in the tank?

.... Once I open a bottle I never reuse it ..........
^ do you base this on some of Seachem's advice, or is it just your own preference?
I ordered a large jug for the most economical price, to have plenty on hand.
Hope I don't end up with "dead" leftovers, instead of a good supply
:-/

Tank: 125 gallon....... ~ FX5, two Hydor V sponge filters.
^ Do sponge filters improve results? I don't have any. would have to order them.
I will be using eheim canister loaded with eheim mech and seachem matrix for bio media.
Also:
I'm going to use Purigen in my filtration. but since it is an adsorbent which "controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these..", should I wait until after the tank has cycled? not sure if it would slow down the cycling process.

Thanks.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
BIG BUMP!
I will use Stability to start a 180G, & want to verify some details
:

^ that quote is about the main filter media.
would it be OK to put driftwood, with some BB on it, in the tank?

^ do you base this on some of Seachem's advice, or is it just your own preference?
I ordered a large jug for the most economical price, to have plenty on hand.
Hope I don't end up with "dead" leftovers, instead of a good supply
:-/

^ Do sponge filters improve results? I don't have any. would have to order them.
I will be using eheim canister loaded with eheim mech and seachem matrix for bio media.
Also:
I'm going to use Purigen in my filtration. but since it is an adsorbent which "controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these..", should I wait until after the tank has cycled? not sure if it would slow down the cycling process.

Thanks.
-Yes, you should have no problems, I have even used it along side of established media, the worst you have to worry about is a mini cycle.

- I believe the stuff has a 4 year shelf life, I have never bought more than I needed to cycle a tank but I assume you've got a 50/50 shot of it keeping, once you've used what you needed.

- I do not believe a sponge filter would "improve" results but it may help airate the water; not sure if that aids in cycling. As far as the purigen is concerned, I use it as well and used it when cycling my 345 with stability and all was well, so no worries there.

Good luck with the new tank!

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.

- I believe the stuff has a 4 year shelf life, I have never bought more than I needed to cycle a tank but I assume you've got a 50/50 shot of it keeping, once you've used what you needed.

.......... As far as the purigen is concerned, I use it as well and used it when cycling my 345 with stability and all was well, so no worries there.

Good luck with the new tank!
hmmm, a 50/50 chance of open Stability remaining viable is kind of a crap shoot. Lol. I hope someone can report actual success from their shelves. but, Oh Well, I already got the jug.

SO, using Purigen didn't take any longer to cycle? (than the results in this thread)
Seems like decreased ammonia could do that.
Either way... I do have a LOT of Stability to keep pouring in :-]
HAha.

Thanks!

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
hmmm, a 50/50 chance of open Stability remaining viable is kind of a crap shoot. Lol. I hope someone can report actual success from their shelves. but, Oh Well, I already got the jug.

SO, using Purigen didn't take any longer to cycle? (than the results in this thread)
Seems like decreased ammonia could do that.
Either way... I do have a LOT of Stability to keep pouring in :-]
HAha.

Thanks!
No problem,

Sorry I dont have more of a definitive answer on whether or not it will keep, I've never had any left over myself.

I was using 400ml (200 already seeded) of purigen when I used stability to cycle my display tank and it didn't seem to slow the cycle down one bit.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
PDRed, thanks for your Purigen experience. I'll include it when starting.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
So after reading 25 pages of this thread, I have no idea whether Stability works. Fishless cycle, cycle with fish, seeded media, old product, product not shaken, plants in tank, water change, no water change, mention of pH, dh. My head is spinning.

jtgeorge82

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2011
A, A
the coors lite or the stability
Todays results (Tue 04/20) Day Three:
  • Ammonia: 0.10 PPM
  • Nitirite: 0 PPM
  • Nitrate: 10-15 PPM (camera flash is lightening it a bit P&S)
View attachment 491000

This thread really is geared towards new members or doubt'ers of using this stuff. I wanted a thread with progress pics so if someone searches in the future, BAM! Why would you go through a ton of effort when for $10 you can cycle a 125g? I have cycled many tanks, with fish, fishless and this stuff is by far my favorite. AND the bottle is pretty. :grinno:

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
So after reading 25 pages of this thread, I have no idea whether Stability works. Fishless cycle, cycle with fish, seeded media, old product, product not shaken, plants in tank, water change, no water change, mention of pH, dh. My head is spinning.
LOL. I read the whole thread twice!, skimmed it fast once. then a few weeks later, to prep for starting my tank with it, I read slow & more careful.
The conclusion is Yes, it works.
Poor results are connected to NOT SHAKING bottle 'violently' between every pour, as the live contents settle inside bottles.
Very low ph can inhibit the BB taking hold, but that applies to all cycling, nothing special about using Stability.
(My tap water is about 7.8, so I can toss out that concern).
You can cycle with a fair amount of stock with Stability. The highest needed dose increase is 3x what is on the label directions. The highest beginning stock load in this thread was impressive.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
Joe, member "zennzzo" posts in this thread were pretty informative.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store