Seachem Stability: PUT TO THE TEST/blank slate (daily perams/pics)

prober

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2011
eastern washington state
One thing that is lacking in this thread is readings for GH and KH. I had a problem getting a cycle to finish and stabilize once and it was due to very soft water. Raised the GH from 2* to 5* and the KH from 2* to 4* and everything leveled out and stabilized at 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate. Before that I had a nitrite reading that would not go away.

Bacteria are slow at low KH and GH levels and will have a hard time colonizing.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
epond83;4876970; said:
So you guys are adding the recomended does every day?

I was wondering if you could cut back on this durring a fishless cycle?

Cycling 215 gallons of water is going to take a lot of Stability.
I would follow the instructions to a tee if y0ou want good results. I always have so I can't say one way or the other if it would work cutting back. I assume not.

prober;4877225; said:
One thing that is lacking in this thread is readings for GH and KH. I had a problem getting a cycle to finish and stabilize once and it was due to very soft water. Raised the GH from 2* to 5* and the KH from 2* to 4* and everything leveled out and stabilized at 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate. Before that I had a nitrite reading that would not go away.

Bacteria are slow at low KH and GH levels and will have a hard time colonizing.
Welcome to MFK :welcome: !!!

Your 100% correct and to be honest it's so freakin refreshing to see a new member with an understanding of their kH/gH readings.. I'll look forward to discussing things with you in the future. In retrospect, there are a number of things missing from this thread. One day when I sort through a few other projects I'll do a new thread with better apples to apples comparisons.

tjhintze

Feeder Fish
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Hey Everyone. I might give Stability a try. I wanted to ask some questions and give you some background on my tank. First let me say this is my first tank and I don't know anyone that presently has any fish. Last Wed. (3/23/11) we decided to get fish for the kids. (And yes for myself I always wanted to get one :) ) Anyway we bought one of those 10 gal kits that give you a charcoal filter and a heater. (We keep it at 78F) We put plastic plants (We will be adding real plants in the near future), and gravel in it. Well needless to say I pretty much killed my fish. We picked up 8 fish and a snail. (6 Tetras, a Guppy, and an Algae eater). All was well. Throughout the next day all of the Tetras ended up dying. Now part of the startup kit was missing when we got it. So they all had to sit in the bags for an extra hour while I ran back to get the missing part and we were thinking that is why they ended up dying. So we picked up 5 more from the local Walmart because they were closer. And you guessed it they died to. Then I find out about cycling your tank and I thought that must be it. I ended up getting an API master kit and doing some readings and this is what the readings were since 3/27/11:

pH: 7.4
NH3: 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

It just didn't change. So I started thinking what could be killing off all my fish and why was there no change in any of the numbers. I was talking to a guy at work about it. (His experience a gold fish when he was younger) I was thinking about trying DI water because it would be very pure clean water. When he said, “Make sure you don’t use DI water.” That’s when I said, “Sure am glad I bought the spring water instead.” Now I would think that spring water would be straight from the spring to the jug. I was very wrong. (My well water is very high in sulfur and turns everything orange. That is why I bought the water instead of using my tap water.) So I did a 30% water change on Thurs. (3/31/11) using some city water. Yes I added a conditioner to the water. So I think that is why I now have one Guppy left and he is looking very lonely, but much healthier and happier since the water change.

So now from a lot of reading I have found that I have made lots of mistakes. First off I bought to many fish to start a tank, found that the tank cycling is very important, and that I really have no idea what I'm doing. lol :eek:

I took a reading 10 min ago and this is what I have now (This is the first test that I have done since the water change):
pH: 7.4-7.5
NH3: 1.0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
My questions are:

Is it too late to add Stability to my tank?

How high should I let my NH3 get before I do a 25% water change?

Should I add more fish (any suggestions on what kind)?

Do I need an air pump and stone? The kit didn’t come with one so I assumed that the filter must add enough air. Right?

And if you have any suggestions on anything else or questions about what I have or have not done please ask or share. Thank you all. I know this was very lengthy. MY fish also says Thank you. :)

tableau

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2009
Montréal, Québec
I have just finished cycling a twenty gallons tank using stability; it took seven days to read 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. The product really works !!!

Twenty gallons
6 lemon tetras
New water
New filter medias
AC 50

tableau

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2009
Montréal, Québec
You need to add an ammonia source to feed the bacterias (stability)

1) Fill the aquarium with dechlorinated water
2) Heat the water to speed cycling process (heater)
3) Install a filter with some media that could be colonized by the bacterias
4) Add an ammonia source (pure ammonia or strong fish)
5) Add stability following the directions; don't forget to intensly shake the bottle

*** the tank is cycled when the test show no more ammonia, no more nitrites and show some nitrates

silva_unt

Feeder Fish
Apr 25, 2011
Dallas area
Hi! I'm new here and found this thread when googling reviews for sechem stability! I've read all these pages! I too am starting out my tank fishless and adding ammonia while I stock my tank (10g) with plants. I'm helping a friend with her tank too (29g). Next wk i plan to buy my last set of plants dose ammonia for another wk and then buy stability and 4 panda cories. Any suggestions on dosing stability with the way I've started this set up? I'm hoping i'll have the start of a good colony and bump the process with stability. (Same for my friends except we may be getting stability and fish for her this coming friday, 5 kuli loaches)

Since i've been dosing ammonia, would it be wise to do a pwc before i start stability? As of now i have no nitrites or nitrates. Or do i just test after starting stability to see if my cories will be ok?

Thanks! Glad i found this thread!

RegalAngel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2009
The Redwood Reef
moonwasaloon;5060373; said:
So I have to add the ammonia every day? So basically do a fishless cycle? While adding stability

Negative, Stability bacteria requires that the fish be added and then Stabiltiy be added each day for 7 days. There should not be any ammonia seen during this time. You do not add ammonia to the tank during this tme; Stability is all that is needed.

I use Seachem's Stability to provide the aerobic and anaerobic bacteria for my systems, which are Saltwater.
I use it in my QT anytime I wish to setup my QT for a fish(es) for QT purposes and never have any ammonia (40g).
I recommend an external filter with sponges for the bacteria to setup.
I also used it in my 300g SW system when I started it up and never any ammonia.
I highly recommend its use for providing the necessary bacteria for a fully functional biological filtration system.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Stability.html

Stability® will rapidly and safely establish the aquarium biofilter in freshwater and marine systems, thereby preventing the #1 cause of fish death: "new tank syndrome". Stability® is formulated specifically for the aquarium and contains a synergistic blend of aerobic, anaerobic, and facultative bacteria which facilitate the breakdown of waste organics, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Unlike competing products, the bacteria employed by Stability® are non-sulfur fixing and will not produce toxic hydrogen sulfide. Stability® is completely harmless to all aquatic organisms as well as aquatic plants, thus there is no danger of over use. Stability® is the culmination of nearly a decade of research and development and represents the current state of the art in natural biological management.
Sizes: 50 mL, 100 mL, 250 mL, 500 mL, 2 L, 4 L, 20 L
Why It's Different
Illustration of Stability's™ bacteria on biofiltration material. stability contains a synergistic blend of aerobic, anaerobic, and facultative bacteria
The bacteria used in competing products are inherently unstable. The conditions necessary for their growth and development fall into a very narrow range of temperatures, pH, organic loads, etc. When any of these parameters are not strictly within the proper range, the bacterial culture quickly crashes and dies. Stability® does not contain any of the aforementioned bacteria.
The bacteria strains in Stability® have been in development for over a decade. The necessary conditions for growth of our bacterial strains encompass a very broad range. When other bacteria begin to die off (usually from high organic loads caused by the undetected death of an organism), Stability® simply works harder and grows faster! The strains function in fresh or saltwater. Stability® contains both nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria, a blend found in no other product. Additionally, Stability® contains facultative bacterial strains which are able to adapt to either aerobic or anaerobic conditions. The bacteria in Stability® are non-sulfur fixing, another innovation in the industry. Most other bacterial supplements will form toxic hydrogen sulfide under the proper conditions. Stability® will not, ever.
------------------
If for some reason you don't or can't use Stability then here is another one:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=289&ref=4620&subref=AA&cmpid=E-_-CARE-_-32311-_-CYC

londonloco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2010
Manassas, VA
I found this thread several weeks ago. I have started using Stability on my newly set up 125g with trickle filter. I added fish (dithers from other tanks), and a fair amount of plants. I shake the %^&* out of the bottle before measuring milky white capfuls into my sump. Today was day three, my ammonia levels were still at -0-. I contacted Seachem via email, explained my set up, and my plan, which is using it for 2 weeks, then laying off a week before adding my final stock of fish beginning of the 4th week as long as ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are -0-. I also asked them about dosing NPK and Excel along with Stability.

This was the reply I got from Seachem tech support:

"It is perfectly fine to dose Stability in conjunction with Excel and NPK, and doing so will not cause any issues.

I think your plan sounds good. I also have another thought on your ammonia not building up. It is possible that the plants are utilizing the ammonia as it is produced, slowing its build-up. This would not be surprising, especially if the tank is heavily planted. Plants prefer to obtain their nitrogen in the ammonium form and if your pH is below 7.0 or you are using any type of product to detoxify ammonia, your ammonia will actually be in this form. Of course, using the Stability will still help cycle the tank and make sure that ammonia does not become a problem later. So, that was my thought, your plan is sound. Let us know if you need anything else."

My tank is what I would consider semi heavily stocked with plants. I'm happy. :)

Just thought I'd share this advice in case any other planted tankers were watching this thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store