Second Sump Chamber

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Look at water lettuce, or Pothos, or Frogbit maybe. I had some water lettuce, I liked it a lot. It's a pretty big surface plant, stays together, fibrous and strong. No way it gets sucked under.
Man I despise frog bit. If I did a floater it would have to be water lettuce because the roots grow long enough to keep it in the chamber. I have po this in the overflow and it's doing well on natural light

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
I never have treated my tap water before water changes and my tap water is near perfect with 0 ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and very minimal chlorine. I dose with seachem safe before and a tiny bit after just in case and in the 5 years I've been running aquariums I've never had a problem pumping water straight from the tap into the aquarium. The reason for this thread is for ideas on what to do with the empty second chamber of my sump. The system is probably upwards of 100 gallons and doing a standard drain and fill for an hour and a half is out of the question
I'm glad it's been working for you so far. And that is the key, so far. But, with the added information that your fish do not react well to WC, seems like a reasonable solution. Given that this is a requirement for your setup and WC schedule, I'd leave the chamber as-is... looks like you have it figured out already.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Man I despise frog bit. If I did a floater it would have to be water lettuce because the roots grow long enough to keep it in the chamber. I have po this in the overflow and it's doing well on natural light
Frog bit gets pretty large with longer roots you're probably thinking of Duckweed. Don't ever get Duckweed started you can never get rid of it it's a total pain, but it does keep nitrates low.

I have Duckweed and it clogs up everything you can dip every bit of it out the next week it's got the surface covered again! I swear I don't know how it grows so fast.

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Frog bit gets pretty large with longer roots you're probably thinking of Duckweed. Don't ever get Duckweed started you can never get rid of it it's a total pain, but it does keep nitrates low.

I have Duckweed and it clogs up everything you can dip every bit of it out the next week it's got the surface covered again! I swear I don't know how it grows so fast.
You're absolutely right. I was thinking of duckweed.

Reactions: BIG-G
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store