Senegal Bichir and African Butterfly

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
So some of you know I made a thread about CB Albino Senegal tankmates in my 40 Breeder. Some people suggested African Butterflies but by that time (about a month ago) my Bichirs were too small and I was afraid they would get eaten. Well they have grown now, a significant amount too. I was thinking about getting a single African Butterfly Fish. Question is will my tank be able to handle it ? Already got fish like a Rainbow Shark , single Angelfish , a BN Pleco and few Platies. I do overfilter , got a canister and a big sponge filter running and do weekly water changes. Any tips or help is appreciated and thanks in advance ! Will also post a picture of my tank.

IMG_20220223_211421.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So some of you know I made a thread about CB Albino Senegal tankmates in my 40 Breeder. Some people suggested African Butterflies but by that time (about a month ago) my Bichirs were too small and I was afraid they would get eaten. Well they have grown now, a significant amount too. I was thinking about getting a single African Butterfly Fish. Question is will my tank be able to handle it ? Already got fish like a Rainbow Shark , single Angelfish , a BN Pleco and few Platies. I do overfilter , got a canister and a big sponge filter running and do weekly water changes. Any tips or help is appreciated and thanks in advance ! Will also post a picture of my tank.

View attachment 1491487
It sounds like you should be fine with a single AFB. I check parameters as my fish grow and then will know if I have enough biomedia or need to increase my wc's.

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
It sounds like you should be fine with a single AFB. I check parameters as my fish grow and then will know if I have enough biomedia or need to increase my wc's.
Ok quick question do you know any other top dwelling fish I could get ? Because apparently they arent available in my LFS anymore and due to Covid next shipment might be months away. I really want something to hang out around the top since it looks rather empty with all my fish dwelling around the bottom (at least got floating plants tho)... Maybe a second Angelfish ? Although I dont know what gender mine is.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
My only concern would be the fins of the ABF with the angelfish. Not sure an angel could resist the temptation. Maybe hatchet fish , but not butterfly.
If you want activity top to middle then maybe danios (although Senegal eating them at night as they grow is a might, but also a might for the platies too) and another angel or two is of course a possibility.

Reactions: tlindsey

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
My only concern would be the fins of the ABF with the angelfish. Not sure an angel could resist the temptation. Maybe hatchet fish , but not butterfly.
If you want activity top to middle then maybe danios (although Senegal eating them at night as they grow is a might, but also a might for the platies too) and another angel or two is of course a possibility.
Hatchet fish would require at least 6 so I think it would overcrowd a little. Wish I knew the gender of my Angel to get another but sadly no İdea on sexing them. Would love to get another Angel. Danios are only available in the form of glo Zebras at my LFS and most of them are deformed so not a good idea imo.

Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store