Senegal bichir feeding

camoconor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2011
ireland
Hi all got 2 small 3inch Senegal bichirs yesterday and was wondering what and how often to feed them I'm currently feeding them lance fish (small sardine like fish) I fed them yesterday and the ate!!! But wondering if I should feed them again today ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1334255467.340198.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1334255490.637503.jpg

probassfisher010

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2011
California
Switch them to a high quality pellet, I prefer NLS. Supports optimum growth and color. Talapia is good for bulking polys up, but I'd rather have a better chance at healthy and long living , so I feed NLS

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Those are some good looking polys :) my poly goes for floating cichlid pellets, absolutely loves chicken breast fillets, pig heart, and sometimes some hake or trout.. mine is approx 20 cm and I feed him once a day..

Pshmock

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2008
new york
I feed mine blood worms, earth worms, mysis shrimp and feeders regularly. They will take pretty much anything meaty you put in the tank.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
Sweet wish I was as lucky but mine were getting the lance fish since they were brought in so I'd prefer to stick to what they know for now .....how often do you feed ?
it isn't luck, it's intelligent forethought. younger fish are usually easier to get onto pellets than older. you may have to starve them a bit to start on the pellets, but after that I'd feed twice a day for the first year, once a day from then on until growth really slows down then I'd do once a day skipping one or two days a week for the rest of it's life.

camoconor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2011
ireland
Well I drop in a few small pieces of lance fish sized for their mouth and they don't go near it and I'm not a fan of leaving food over night.

I'm sure I'm just worrying over nothing I'm sure their just settling in right ?

Hikari is pretty much non exsistant in Ireland .....well they were fed on lance fish in the shop and I got them to feed them to see who we're the best eaters so I'll wait until they hit 8" inch mark

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
adults on poor nutrition fare better than young. you want the fish to get the best nutrition as they are growing, and a diet of a single food item is not it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store