Senegal bichir lump on stomach

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
You can reuse the solution.

I'm sorry your Sen is getting bullied. It's hard to watch that, especially since we are keeping them in habitats where they can't truly escape. I hope you can find a workable solution and that your Sen makes it. Increased activity and eating are good signs.... it's too bad the lump isn't going away! Why do these guys have to stress us out? :(

How is the 125 doing? I see that you use live plants - you could throw a bunch in the 125 to help stabilize things if you haven't already.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
You can reuse the solution.

I'm sorry your Sen is getting bullied. It's hard to watch that, especially since we are keeping them in habitats where they can't truly escape. I hope you can find a workable solution and that your Sen makes it. Increased activity and eating are good signs.... it's too bad the lump isn't going away! Why do these guys have to stress us out? :(

How is the 125 doing? I see that you use live plants - you could throw a bunch in the 125 to help stabilize things if you haven't already.
Odd I replied to this but it didnt upload! The 125 looks like it's ready to go. Put quite a bit of live plants in there. The bichir looks much better. The lump seems smaller.
Do you think I should transfer the bichir first to the 125 instead of the firemouth? I was thinking that the firemouth may get even more territorial if it's the first fish in the tank.
Pic from yesterday.

20170116_215236.jpg

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Yes, I personally would add the biggest ******* last. ;)

Happy to hear your Sen is doing OK!
Thanks so much again magpie! Now that I'll stop the epsom salt treatment soon. Should I fast the bichir a few days to see if the bump disappears completely? Now I saw one tiger barb nip the bichir and flees away. I need to make him morr aggressive.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Quick update on my bichir. He ate tons of food yesterday and his stomach still looks full. Is this pretty normal? I added 3 syno catfish and strategically placed bottom feeder pellets for them in their areas but I'm afraid the bichir got to them as well. He's growing and swimming normally. I fed him carnivore pellets first but his eating seems to get more and more aggressive as he grows

20170320_195146.jpg

20170320_195154.jpg

20170320_195149.jpg

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Does he get to a point where he stops eating or does he just keep gorging himself? Maybe get him super full first and then feed the cats. I wonder if you can train him to eat on one side of the tank and the cats on the other. At least so they can get some before he gobbles it up. :)

Do you ever feed cut up tilapia fish, silversides, live earthworms, or krill? Bloodworms are more of a treat type food for these guys.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store