Senegal Bichir Size and Tankmates

Ajxackt

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2015
I have been looking at getting a senegal bichir for some time. I have an idea for starting tank size, food, filtration, just about everything I think.
I have a question and a sort of show and tell for you guys as well. How big are your senegals? How about girth? Referenced with something like a hand or a ruler would be amazing help!
And a question on tank mates. Would Gourmis be good tank mates? They are top dwellers and some species can get big enough that they won't be eaten. From what I have looked at, they look simular in water conditions as well. I know several people have cichlids, but I like the look of Gourmis much better.
What do you think?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
my senegals before they jumped where 6" and 8.5-9". the smaller one was roughly an inch wide maybe? the big one was fat, like 1.5" if not more wide.

gouramis can be mean from what I know, never kept them. other than that I doubt your Senegal will eat them. I never had a Senegal eat a tank mate. thin, torpedo shaped fish are the most threatened in my experience with polys.

Reactions: Layne Conitz

Ajxackt

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2015
I was looking at female-only gourami tankmates so they would be much less aggressive.
Thanks for your input! I just don't want any little tank mates to go missing or my little bichir getting hurt.

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
My 8 year old or so Senegal is about a foot long and 1" or so in diameter.

Tank mates= anything not able to fit in its mouth. She's eaten tiger barbs before, as well as misc tetras and such. Gourami's are a good choice, but tend to nip and add stress. That said dwarf's might be ideal.

Tank size MINIMUM 55G. Plants, fake or otherwise a plus! They like to hide when young.

Spud 12-25-2015.jpg

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
This my delhezis, they're a little different than senegals, when I had mine the try were about a foot and bulky like that picture from racersk.

I've had the same denisons, geos, cherry barbs for some time and the bichirs haven't ate any of them. Maybe it's because I'm keeping the bichirs lazy with a lot or shrimp feedings.

Layne Conitz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2015
Bismarck, ND
The gouramis ive owned were very aggressive and territorial. My Senegal is 11 months old and is 10" as of now. Have posted him up before, he will eat anything 2" or smaller for sure. Sometimes 3 if the fish gets in his face. Bottom picture is most recent top was couple of months ago

polypterus nukkkkaaa.jpg

polypttttterus.jpg

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Nice sen... my del is like that shes about 8 inches and will eat anything small enough. 13 inch lap hasnt eaten anything and he was the one i was always worried about.

The del ate 3 3 inch mollies a few months back looked like she was gonna explode

Ajxackt

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2015
Thank you guys so much for your pictures!
I am going to start out my little senegal in a 20long grow out tank with a few tank mates that they can't eat. Already looking at getting upwards to a 125 gallon so the bichir has plenty of room with their tank mates.
I am still looking at getting drawf gouramis or even smaller cichlids, at least until i get into the larger permanent tank.
Any more suggestions for me?

Layne Conitz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2015
Bismarck, ND
I have a tiger Oscar and red Oscar and an atabapo pike with my Senegal. All do very well together. Fought at first the pike and oscars but good after a month

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store