Senegal w/out movement control, labored breathing

Tharissa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2020
One of my bichirs started displaying lethargy about 2 weeks ago. I moved him to a qt tank, and it became clear that his back half wasn't moving correctly. He's a touch pinker around the head than usual, but no threading on fins. Other inhabitants in his tank (another Senegal and a leopard ctenopoma) are healthy and eating; they've been in a 75g together since winter of 2020.

My tank is sand based, but I was concerned that he may have eaten a ramshorn snail. I dosed his qt tank with metronidazole and salts. He was eating quite a bit so I dosed his food with metro as well.

7 days later no progress on movement but still eating (if offered from tongs right in front of his mouth) so I switched him to kanaplex, in both water and food. He has a decreasing interest in food, even his favorite (thawed shrimp), and his movement control seems to be getting worse. Breathing is looking more labored today as well.

There's a basking platform in the qt tank, so he's in about an inch from the water surface. This video shows how he's moving today when he's not on the platform: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1A3pYPxHcDushWdb8

I welcome any ideas, it's looking pretty dire at this point. Thanks so much for your help.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If you can try and transfer to a plastic tote with low water so it can lay flat on its belly. That way it can stop from flipping and rolling over. I’d dose some pure epsom salt, 3 tbsp per g, to the tank and kanamycin if you can get it. If not better despite this then not eating and just busy writhing around then I’d euthanize the fish. Just my suggestion. Best of luck!

Reactions: Tharissa
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store