Senegalus Medical Diagnosis Request!

Teacher+PolypterusFan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2019
Nashville, TN
Hello everyone! This is my first post on the forums, but I've been a stalker for a few months. I inherited a fish tank when I moved into my science classroom and I decided to get some bichir for my classroom because they are so visually interesting. I've been making changes to the tank setup but currently the bottom is large gravel, I've seen that most prefer using sand - my filtration system won't work with sand though so it will require a bit more investment to transition. I picked up two senegalus at the beginning of the school year and they've both been doing fine until last week. The one pictured here has had this bulge for the past week or so.
IMG_20191121_153534161.jpg
IMG_20191121_153638684.jpg

He seemed sluggish earlier this week, so I asked the advice of a local fish store, and they said to do some Epsom salt treatments. I've been doing that (hence why it is in the small container), but I wanted to get your opinions on what exactly is going on - do I need to quarantine this one? I recently picked up a delhezi as well and if it's some contagious infection I would hate to lose the others as well as this one. I don't think it's bloat - it hasn't had any trouble staying at the bottom of the tank. Is it a pebble impacted? Infection? The other two are not showing any signs of distress and I've been doing more frequent water changes since this one started looking like this. So, any thoughts on what is going on? Any opinions and advice would be appreciated!

IMG_20191121_153531688.jpg

IMG_20191121_153534161.jpg

Attachments

Teacher+PolypterusFan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2019
Nashville, TN
Most of the substrate is too big, but there are some smaller pieces I suppose he could've gotten in his mouth. Honestly that's what I thought it looked like too. Here's a pic I had of him inside the tank from monday. If it's a stone, is there anything I can do?
IMG_20191119_154644034.jpg

ZIPLOCKEDBRZ

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2019
NH

heres a good thread with some info in there. I think its tough to say... BUT i would definitely remove that gravel substrate for the time being.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Most of the substrate is too big, but there are some smaller pieces I suppose he could've gotten in his mouth. Honestly that's what I thought it looked like too. Here's a pic I had of him inside the tank from monday. If it's a stone, is there anything I can do?
View attachment 1395753
Welcome aboard
If the Senegal poly swallowed a stone and it is to large to pass the Bichir won't live long.
Most of us here us sand only in Polypterus setups. What are you feeding the Senegalus?

Teacher+PolypterusFan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2019
Nashville, TN
The tank I inherited is one of those older ones that has a filter system built into the hood, but I was using an under gravel system mostly, as that is what I inherited and was most familiar with. I'm going to need to get a bigger tank soon anyway, so I'm looking for suggestions on something that might work better now and also be transferred to a bigger tank in the near future.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store