Setting up a used 450 gallon tank

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
tcarswell;3640163; said:
wow , that is a stunner ! You seem to have everything sorted quite well. I like the drain idea im working on that for my tank bank in the living room. As far as water movement at the bottom its not too late for an Under gravel jet system. Also some of the hydor koralia powerheads can move insane amounts of water very efficiently. Just a thought.
Best of luck to you!
Interesting............

I don't want to see any equipment, I'm trying for a natural look as apposed to my normal "laboratory look" quoit from my wife. One of the agreements we made to set up a tank in the living area..........

I'm going to check out those power heads. I'm looking for something to push poop off the bottom so the filters can suck it all up.

Currently I'm moving the empty tank to the exact location for final filling. "a little more this way........okay to far................" My wife is having a blast. All the plumbing in the back of the tank is finished and leak checked. Next steps is the background and that just came in an hour ago!!!!!!!!!

Pics soon

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
The background is in. Now I just gota install it. This is the Mesa wall from "Not Just Fish" It comes in 22"X20" panels. My tank is 28.5" deep (inner dimensions), so I gota come up with something for the lower 6.5". I figure an inch will be gravel and I will install it an inch below the top. Now I need something for 4.5" between the gravel and the background.

I think I'm going with styrofoam sheeting. I just bought a 4X8 3/4 inch sheet. I think I will cut it into strips maybe starting at 5" wide then a 4" strip then 3" and layer it on top of each other until I get 4.5 " thick. Then I'm going to shave it down so I get a slop going from the bottom of the background to the bottom of the tank. Then paint it or somehow glue down the gravel to the styrofoam so it looks like it's a gently sloping river bed............

LOL not 100% figured out yet. I'm not going to concrete it, too much work. I just want to paint it and of course it needs to look good and not kill the fish, easy right?

Suggestions on fish safe underwater paint?

100_1337.JPG

kallmond

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2009
Hanover, PA
I think I'd 'fill' your 4.5 inches at the top. the top of your purchased background looks more uniform and easier to match than the bottom.

Plus, everyone's eyes go to the bottom/bank of the tank, not the top.

bomber

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
the Office living in the now...
WOW, great price for a truely monster tank. I can't wait to see your stocking plans.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store