Several types of morays commonly caught in Indonesia's rivers

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
As for the size of my aquarium, I never measure it, but it housed many eels, with two very long (My longest Echidna Rhodochilus is 40++ cm and so is the Gymnothorax Polyuranodon). Here is a picture for the perspectives (of both eels). IMG-20171229-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20171229-WA0002.jpeg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
Allow me to post a correction. This moray is not
Gymnothorax Undulatus, I think Gymnothorax Pictis would be closer in the description. But the local name is the same: belut burik.
FB_IMG_15132696827138243.jpg

AncientFishArk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2017
New York
How long do these morays usually get? Are they all about the same or different (I assume different)? I know you said 30 cm for one of them you currently have.

Also looking another moray (Gymnothorax Polyuranodon) to add. Not sure if I can track them down in NY, USA.

AdamSafi

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Delaware
Have you contacted North Florida Aqua? He will always have it in for $135, and they will ship as well.

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
How long do these morays usually get? Are they all about the same or different (I assume different)? I know you said 30 cm for one of them you currently have.

Also looking another moray (Gymnothorax Polyuranodon) to add. Not sure if I can track them down in NY, USA.
My current morays are as follows:

Echidna Rhodochilus: the smallest is about 30cm, the other two are now about 40cm. This species according to fishbase maxed out at 33cm, so my largest E. Rhodochilus is an anomaly. Either that or I need to re-measure them again ;)

Gymnothorax Polyuranodon: my G. Polyuranodon is around 30-35cm, fishbase said it's 150cm max, but I never personally seen people keeping any G. Polyuranodon over 100cm.

Uropterygius Micropterus: my tidepool moray is around 20-25cm, fishbase said this species is 30cm max.

I personally do not recommend any morays that grows longer than 100cm.

As a side note, Gymnothorax Tile is said to max at 60cm, however as they grow bigger, they also become fiercer.

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
NEWSFLASH! A scientist from Griffith University has proven that G. Polyuranodon _IS_ a _FRESHWATER_ fish.

So, the G. Polyuranodon laid eggs and hatch in the sea, but they lived their juvenile and adult life in mild brackish and full freshwater.

I hope this new scientific article will laid to rest the debates about G. Polyuranodon's "freshwater" status.

https://research-repository.griffit...ndle/10072/348102/EbnerPUB4973.pdf?sequence=1

With that being said, I personally keep my Polyuranodon in mild brackish water though ;) it's more safer because they are less susceptible to diseases in brackish.

Reactions: AncientFishArk

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
For those who loves to give live shrimp to freshwater morays, let me tell you, sometimes a shrimp or two will live long enough to evade capture, and grow healthy in your aquarium, and getting bigger, and bigger, and will reach a size where they will be able to force the morays to back off :D Actually two of my leftover macrobrachium shrimps have done just that. Now none of my morays could intimidate them. Interesting eh?brave shrimp.jpg

Reactions: Dloks
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store