Severum fry help

Nikkijas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
Hello everyone,
So I have a 210 gallon aquarium with many Severum fry. They are about 3 months old and the parents have done a great job keeping the fry safe from the other fish in the tank. My question is how long do I wait to start looking for homes or LFS to take them? How long will it be ok to keep them in this tank? I was told that they would not survive in this tank due to two green terrors and 3 blood parrot cichlids, well they are about an inch in size and they are doing well. If I had to guess I would say there are probably around 100-150 fry in the tank. I am worried my tank can’t support them all due to all the extra waste. I had no intention of them making it, so at this point I am at a loss at what to do next. The other fish in my tank don’t really move because the Severum parents are still very aggressive if they think someone is going to go after one of the fry. I need help! Lol I have no clue even how to move them when the time comes.

Thank you for any and all advice you can give:)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Hello everyone,
So I have a 210 gallon aquarium with many Severum fry. They are about 3 months old and the parents have done a great job keeping the fry safe from the other fish in the tank. My question is how long do I wait to start looking for homes or LFS to take them? How long will it be ok to keep them in this tank? I was told that they would not survive in this tank due to two green terrors and 3 blood parrot cichlids, well they are about an inch in size and they are doing well. If I had to guess I would say there are probably around 100-150 fry in the tank. I am worried my tank can’t support them all due to all the extra waste. I had no intention of them making it, so at this point I am at a loss at what to do next. The other fish in my tank don’t really move because the Severum parents are still very aggressive if they think someone is going to go after one of the fry. I need help! Lol I have no clue even how to move them when the time comes.

Thank you for any and all advice you can give:)
1. Get more tanks.
2. Sell or give away some fry.
3. Cull the fry.

When you need to move them, just scoop them up with a net. Sounds like they're too big to siphon out.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
You definitely need another tank. Look on Craigslist, offer up, let go, ect for a used one. We even have a couple stores that taking in used tanks to sell and they are crazy cheap. I got a 55 for $13. Garage sales are good places to look too.

The fry are still too small to sell to stores. Most places want 2” or more. At least around me they do.

You can sell privately. Then you can sell groups for a smaller amount so people are more likely to buy from you over a store. You just need to post everywhere to get exposure. Local fish clubs, Craigslist, Facebook, and so on.

And like mentioned above, cull out any with imperfections. Since you have so many it would be good to get your numbers down.

Nikkijas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
What size tank do I need to grow them out? I looked on letgo, offer up and Craig’s list and I found 2 30 gallons for $60 and a few larger tanks that jump to $100. I don’t have much money to fix this problem and I would have a very hard time killing any babies at this stage. I know this is all my fault but I was told the fry would not survive and now I have a disaster on my hands:( This is going to be a weird question but could I use a plastic fish pond inside the house? I have seen those for a lot cheaper.

Nikkijas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
Ok I found a fish store that will take them all but I would really like to keep some, how many can I keep in my 210 gallon until they are larger so I can keep 1 or 2 that I like the best?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
What size tank do I need to grow them out? I looked on letgo, offer up and Craig’s list and I found 2 30 gallons for $60 and a few larger tanks that jump to $100. I don’t have much money to fix this problem and I would have a very hard time killing any babies at this stage. I know this is all my fault but I was told the fry would not survive and now I have a disaster on my hands:( This is going to be a weird question but could I use a plastic fish pond inside the house? I have seen those for a lot cheaper.
Plastic fish ponds can work well.

As far as how many to keep, I would keep the 7 fry you like best, and then narrow it down to 1 that turns out best

Nikkijas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
Thank you all for your help. I gave about 30 to the store today and more on Monday. They are hard to catch in my 210 gallon. It was very hard to hand them over, all I could think was they aren’t going to get taken care of. I kept telling them I was sorry:(

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thank you all for your help. I gave about 30 to the store today and more on Monday. They are hard to catch in my 210 gallon. It was very hard to hand them over, all I could think was they aren’t going to get taken care of. I kept telling them I was sorry:(

Don't be hard on yourself you did the best thing.

Nikkijas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
Don't be hard on yourself you did the best thing.
I know I did but it is so hard when you know what it’s like when we all started out and don’t know much and it’s the fish that suffer, those poor babies didn’t know what was happening plus I just think what they are doing tonight without their dad above them. I know it’s not a kid but it kind of feels like it. It’s silly how I feel.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I know I did but it is so hard when you know what it’s like when we all started out and don’t know much and it’s the fish that suffer, those poor babies didn’t know what was happening plus I just think what they are doing tonight without their dad above them. I know it’s not a kid but it kind of feels like it. It’s silly how I feel.

No it's just your motherly instincts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store