Sex guess for my chocolate

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
JasonsPlecosCichlids JasonsPlecosCichlids i know you bred chocolates before you mind giving me your opinion on the sex ?

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
I also think female based on the short head profile and fins.my male has bigger head,and has longer fin dorsal and anal,at 6-7 inches now.but I should add he is the dominant fish in the tank

Reactions: Alexxxxsv14

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
I also think female based on the short head profile and fins.my male has bigger head,and has longer fin dorsal and anal,at 6-7 inches now.but I should add he is the dominant fish in the tank
Okay well thanks for the reply, I think female as well bc of the vent and bc she would get frisky with my female convict and as soon as con laid eggs she would leave her alone. I know female cichlid tend to do that if no male present. I went back to my lfs and got a male chocolate half her size but it was paired off with a little female about to lay eggs her tube was down, so I know for sure it's male. I'm hoping my big one is female so far no aggression or chasing very mellow. I can already see difference in both so I think I'm good

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Thanks !!! I came to the conclusion my big one is female and I got a little male that was paired up with a little female at my lfs
Little male keeps trying to impress the big female and doesn't leave her sight it's funny he has a lot of perseverance but big female not interest yet !
You were able to draw conclusions from that? I thought he was saying that they are basically sexually monomorphic.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
You were able to draw conclusions from that? I thought he was saying that they are basically sexually monomorphic.
Well I'm not 100% sure but big ones vent looks like a U rather than V and is round making me feel it's female. The little male was about to breed with a female in the lfs so i know for sure it's male. He doesn't seperate from big one and does little shakes and dances making me feel they are boy and girl I will post a pic of them

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Here's a pic of them
I will record a video of them later when there's no glare on my tank
I want to see what everyone thinks on their dance n shaking bc it could be two males confronting each other

IMG_8270.JPG

IMG_8271.JPG

IMG_8273.JPG

IMG_8274.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store