Sexing Green Terror (before buying)

freshwatertanks

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2018
Hi guys

Need your help. Today after work i will finally get my green terror (for my 120G tank). Now i really do want a male and half an hour ago i went to my pet store (during lunch) and saw this guy. I have a feeling that's a male but would really like to know your opinion. He/she is the most agressive of the whole tank and clearly the alpha fish. I would appreciate your opinion. I know there are lot's of green terror owner with more experience than me (and the guy from the store). Oh and he/she is about 3in big.

Thank you so much! :)

image2.png

image1.png image3.png

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi guys

Need your help. Today after work i will finally get my green terror (for my 120G tank). Now i really do want a male and half an hour ago i went to my pet store (during lunch) and saw this guy. I have a feeling that's a male but would really like to know your opinion. He/she is the most agressive of the whole tank and clearly the alpha fish. I would appreciate your opinion. I know there are lot's of green terror owner with more experience than me (and the guy from the store). Oh and he/she is about 3in big.

Thank you so much! :)

View attachment 1346375

View attachment 1346376 View attachment 1346377

MrsE88 MrsE88
Jexnell Jexnell

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Its hard to say without venting it and at that size but males usually have a blue/green sheen on the body and they yellow line outlining the tail is thicker and more prominent. I think its a female but you never know at this size.

Reactions: freshwatertanks

freshwatertanks

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2018
thanks! yes it's really not eays when they are almost 3in big. i'm just unsure because of the two vertical lines and also the fine line outlining the tail. honestly i couldn't really look at the other greent terrors. they were all behind the stones and were attacked by this guy... hmm i guess my chances are 50:50 :)

Its hard to say without venting it and at that size but males usually have a blue/green sheen on the body and they yellow line outlining the tail is thicker and more prominent. I think its a female but you never know at this size.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
It’s hard with fish at a store in a tank with others. Everyone is stressed and kept in less then ideal conditions.
I do believe this is a female. If you really want a male I’d hold off. You’ll know a good quality male when you see one. It will be very colorful, even when stressed it will hold its color better then a female would. I know the hunt can be frustrating. I waited months to find a good male.

freshwatertanks

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2018
hmm you're right. i will also check another pet store. there are only two stores nearby with green terrors and an online shop where i can choose male or female. not sure if should order them online? i prefer to have a look at the fish before buying...

It’s hard with fish at a store in a tank with others. Everyone is stressed and kept in less then ideal conditions.
I do believe this is a female. If you really want a male I’d hold off. You’ll know a good quality male when you see one. It will be very colorful, even when stressed it will hold its color better then a female would. I know the hunt can be frustrating. I waited months to find a good male.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
hmm you're right. i will also check another pet store. there are only two stores nearby with green terrors and an online shop where i can choose male or female. not sure if should order them online? i prefer to have a look at the fish before buying...
If the seller would let you see the fish before shipping buying online wouldn’t be bad. Buying one without seeing it first.... I don’t think I’d trust that.

freshwatertanks

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2018
that's a good idea. but first i will visit the other store. they also have 4 gt's. maybe i'm lucky. and finally if i like a fish and choose it i won't be unhappy because of it's sex (even if i prefer a male)...

Don't do it then. Just wait until you find a nice one at your lfs. I will post the nice male I found last week when I get home to take a pic. You could also ask an employee to take out the decorations to look at the ones that are hiding.

Reactions: Jexnell and MrsE88
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store