Sexing the Silver Arowana

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
I have two 24-25" silver arowanas. I do beleive that I have a male and female. The physical traits that differ between the two. Jaw structure(Credit to JohnPTC), the one which is believed to be the male has a boarder jaw that extends above the head and is at less of an angle compared to the female. Observing pics of only known confirmed female on MFK(Delgado's) will support this. Body shape the female seems to have a taller broader body then the male, also the trailers on the lower fins are much shorter then the male.

These are only observations and I have no positive proof of sexing. These two have been living together since May in a 180g tank. Temp 80 degrees F, pH at 7.4 weekly 50% water changes. On a diet of frozen market shrimp, jumbo cichlid sticks, freeze dried krill, crickets and earthworms. The male has grown 4" and the female has grown 6" since May 17th 2007.

In the pics below the male is the top pictured.

P1070155.JPG

P1070174.JPG

P1070163.JPG

P1070182.JPG

P1070204.JPG

P1070205.JPG

Death Pony

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
And now I know, and knowing is half the battle. Thanks for dropping the info.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
Bderick67;1337334; said:
I have two 24-25" silver arowanas. I do beleive that I have a male and female. The physical traits that differ between the two. Jaw structure(Credit to JohnPTC), the one which is believed to be the male has a boarder jaw that extends above the head and is at less of an angle compared to the female. Observing pics of only known confirmed female on MFK(Delgado's) will support this. Body shape the female seems to have a taller broader body then the male, also the trailers on the lower fins are much shorter then the male.

These are only observations and I have no positive proof of sexing. These two have been living together since May in a 180g tank. Temp 80 degrees F, pH at 7.4 weekly 50% water changes. On a diet of frozen market shrimp, jumbo cichlid sticks, freeze dried krill, crickets and earthworms. The male has grown 4" and the female has grown 6" since May 17th 2007.

In the pics below the male is the top pictured.

good observations

take a look at kosh and see if you get the same observation, i think he's a male.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
DeLgAdO;1340966; said:
good observations

take a look at kosh and see if you get the same observation, i think he's a male.
I would think the same, I just wish there were more pics of Kosh to look at, cause that's one big boy.

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
The larger jaw is a giveaway for a male because they are the mouthbrooders. There is also a bit of facial difference between your pair Bderick. thanks for the info.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store