Sexing the Silver Arowana

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
I would agree with your statement as to just being different fish del and by no means can I prove the sex of either of my aros. The traits I point out though are consistant though in other 22-30" silver aros I see. When the aro has the longer, broader lower jaw their body hieght seems shorter and the pelvic and anal fins are proportioned closer together. It would be nice if I had a dozen live 24" silver aros to observe, but for now I can only judge my two and by pics posted.

twk1;1433534; said:
Bderick67.... Do you know if you can distinguish Black Aros the same way??
I do not know, not alot of pics of larger blacks available and mine is only 15" long.

Freeze_Dried_Bloodworm;1433623; said:
so mine is a male just like I predicted, I feel smart :D
Please post a pic of your silver aro. What size is it?

Freeze_Dried_Bloodworm

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2006
Kuwait-a-minute
omseth.deviantart.com
DeLgAdO;1433670; said:
hold on there smart girl, you are not correct and neither is this idea, its a good speculation but its not accurate.
to some point, it is!

or we would like to think... it's a boy for now cause it has a name lol

sQwiReL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2007
@ Home
bderick67, i would have to agree with you with the sexing. a lot of times, the fish with the longer trailers are usually male and the dominant... such as with frontosas. the female that you pointed out does look fatter, i dont know if you just fed them... right off the bat i noticed that and of course the females are usually chunkier than males.

is it possible to get a top pic of the aros? maybe there would be a difference in fins also

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
sQwiReL;1435053; said:
bderick67, i would have to agree with you with the sexing. a lot of times, the fish with the longer trailers are usually male and the dominant... such as with frontosas. the female that you pointed out does look fatter, i dont know if you just fed them... right off the bat i noticed that and of course the females are usually chunkier than males.

is it possible to get a top pic of the aros? maybe there would be a difference in fins also
Sorry no top pics, from the top both seem to have the same girth, although the pectoral fins are larger on the male.
Freeze_Dried_Bloodworm;1434246; said:
it's 16" right now
Is this an up to date picture? You have a beautiful aro, but it does not look like a 16" though.

Freeze_Dried_Bloodworm

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2006
Kuwait-a-minute
omseth.deviantart.com
Bderick67;1435063; said:
Is this an up to date picture? You have a beautiful aro, but it does not look like a 16" though.
had this pic for a while, sorry don't have a very new pic atm but I believe it shows what you're looking for, it's not all that different now :screwy:

bjorn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
new zealand
ive got a 25inch that ive been guessing female.

as what you say. i think female has a deeper body, males long and slender with overlaping jaw

every large aro i see with overlaping jaw is long and not very deep bodyd.

evryone i see without overlaping jaws have a deep body..

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
i dissagree with any comment that has to do with lower trailers fins.

i have meilings aro with a even lower jaw to the upper jaw, no protruding, deep body but very long lower trailer fins.

then i have my bigger aro, big time protruding lower jaw, deep body but short lower trailer fins.

then i have my smallest (still over 24") that has a big time protruding lower jaw, shorter body but longer trailer fins then meilings aro.

my neighbor has a 33" aro, big time protruding lower jaw, super super deep body, but short lower trailer fins

i still don't think there is any way of knowing lol. not to burst anyones bubbles. but these characteristics were pointing out are only differences were noticing in different aros, period.

these differences are mostlikely different for the reason that they are not the same fish. i've looked at hundreds of aros in person, all different sizes from 4" to about 36" but identifying a arowana's sex by characteristics is just not happening.

the differences were noticing may have been correct in some cases, but i think it was more coincidence then anything.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store