Sexing the Silver Arowana

DavidRLove

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2012
Orlando
I have two 24-25" silver arowanas. I do beleive that I have a male and female. The physical traits that differ between the two. Jaw structure(Credit to JohnPTC), the one which is believed to be the male has a boarder jaw that extends above the head and is at less of an angle compared to the female. Observing pics of only known confirmed female on MFK(Delgado's) will support this. Body shape the female seems to have a taller broader body then the male, also the trailers on the lower fins are much shorter then the male.

These are only observations and I have no positive proof of sexing. These two have been living together since May in a 180g tank. Temp 80 degrees F, pH at 7.4 weekly 50% water changes. On a diet of frozen market shrimp, jumbo cichlid sticks, freeze dried krill, crickets and earthworms. The male has grown 4" and the female has grown 6" since May 17th 2007.

In the pics below the male is the top pictured.

Um... People come here for advice dude. Thanks for being discouraging towards beginner fish keepers or somebody who is simply wrong. I take it you're one who has never gone about something the wrong way? Idiot.

marc victor li

Feeder Fish
Jul 11, 2015
In the pic below I have tried to illustrate the differences between my two silver aros, other then the protuding jaw. The colored lines only identify the differing traits per my observation and are not of any actual measurements.

Red: seems to be a less of an angle on the male

Green: the jawbone is broader on the male

Blue: the male's body has less height then the female(male is 1-1.5" longer)

Yellow: previously I stated the males pelvic fins to be longer. Actually the pelvic and anal fins are positioned closer together on the male. This gives the illusion that the pelvic fins are longer on the male

View attachment 156581
Is this already confirmed pairing?

DexterK

Feeder Fish
Feb 20, 2016
Aren't there farms that produce silver arowanas? I'd like to think that the idivuduals who manage these farms would be able to lend a hand at how owners can determine the sex of a fish. I have no idea how to go about contacting these farms though.

Perhaps they just have many adults in ponds and let love happen, lol.

New to MFK, been lurking for a while. Anyway, what a great resource this community is for fish keeper as

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
Can anyone sex this arowana I rescued
It was never planned but it been a year now and I kinda don't feel like calling it "it" anymore.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Unit-3

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2020
So who holds the babies them?the male?in his mouth??
Yes, it's the male. They are a mouthbrooder species, meaning that the young are kept in a sac under the tongue, where the base of his throat is. I think that there are some rare cases of females holding some young, but I cannot confirm that, and that it should not be regarded as fact.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store