sheepshead..... in a freshwater pond?

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
Ok I saw this and wow! Is it awesome. some guy has been keeping sheepshead in a freshwater pond for 15+ years! It would be an interesting thing for someone to try...9958.jpg

Reactions: Backfromthedead

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
R u sure those r Sheephead? If so, another name for them is Freshwater Drum, so it is possible, though they prefer brackish and ocean water. Anybody doing this currently?

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I don't want to go off a supposition. Is there a proof these are sheepshead? Who is the guy? Where is this info coming from? Does he have convincing photos that these are indeed what he says they are?

They may be sheepshead, I don't mind. They can be other fish. Kind of remind me of sergeant major, or other striped fish...

Abudefduf-saxatilis-01.jpg

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I don't want to go off a supposition. Is there a proof these are sheepshead? Who is the guy? Where is this info coming from? Does he have convincing photos that these are indeed what he says they are?

They may be sheepshead, I don't mind. They can be other fish. Kind of remind me of sergeant major, or other striped fish...

Abudefduf-saxatilis-01.jpg
I COMPLETELY agree. Can not be Sergeant majors. By the size, they look large. We need context.

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
the link here! I mean what other species of fish could it be tho. Not convicts, not seargent majors, not freshwater drum. Not many other striped species of fish that can live in the temperate enviroment of america or in freshwater

Reactions: jjohnwm

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Those do look like sheepshead, though I can’t zoom in without it becoming blurry. I also see a possible largemouth bass due to the horizontal stripe and black tail, and the other fish look like tilapia. I don’t think they can be in full fresh, but largemouth bass and I think some species of tilapia, can be in brackish water. My guess is this is brackish water, but I don’t know if they are in a pond without evidence.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store