sheepshead..... in a freshwater pond?

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
Lots of coastal saltwater fish either can live in or actually swim upstream when they are young, I've kept a large number of fish in freshwater I've caught in marine environments here in NC. Some die as they approach adulthood like hog chokers, some like mullets can live in freshwater indefinitely but can't breed. If this guy has a breeding population of sheepshead in freshwater the great lakes want his fish to eat the invasive mussels.
haha why use them when you have freshwater drum or shellcrackers

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
haha why use them when you have freshwater drum or shellcrackers
They cannot eat the mussels, marine sheepsheads are different from the freshwater drum often called sheepshead, marine sheepshead have large teeth and can even eat oysters and barnacles, scraping them from rocks and pillings...

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
They cannot eat the mussels, marine sheepsheads are different from the freshwater drum often called sheepshead, marine sheepshead have large teeth and can even eat oysters and barnacles, scraping them from rocks and pillings...
Correction, they are able to eat the babies atleast but not the adults. But when ya have hundreds of thousands of babies everywhere, no matter how many shell crackers or drum there are, there will always be survivors and those survivors will repopulate completely unchecked.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I can confirm sheepshead can live in freshwater. They prefer hard water with lots of calcium. They will not breed to my knowledge as with most marine invaders. I have one in my pond currently. I can make an underwater video to show if anyone is interested.
Definitely!

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

BillyMaysChickenWings

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2020
I can confirm sheepshead can live in freshwater. They prefer hard water with lots of calcium. They will not breed to my knowledge as with most marine invaders. I have one in my pond currently. I can make an underwater video to show if anyone is interested.
Please do

Muckfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2022
This was more difficult then I thought. I got some footage though.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store