Should C.Panamensis be reclassified to vieja?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Cryptoheros Panamensis is an interesting and nice looking cichlid. My 'issue' with it is that it's in cryptoheros...
A lot of the cryptoheros species were recently reclassified into amatitlania, and I'm not sure if panamensis was too, but either way I think it doesn't belong.
It's a smaller cichlid, and would be a tiny vieja, but I think it looks more like a vieja than a convict.
It sure as hell isn't up to me to reclassify any species anywhere, I'm just going by what I think. I'm also just going by appearance, I'm not sure if there's any genetic relation of panamensis to any convicts.
look, here's c. panamensis:

here's a convict:

and here's a vieja (hartwegi)

you tell me if panamensis looks like a vieja or not... I think it looks like it could be one.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
The fish has its own genus, Panamius panamensis. It is a dwarf species so it is not Vieja. Fish are not classified by their appearances to one another.

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Ah, ok. Thanks for clearing that up... I know of all the different genuses, but not about how fish are classified too much...

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Ah, ok. Thanks for clearing that up... I know of all the different genuses, but not about how fish are classified too much...
If you do a Web search for heroine cichlids phylogeny tree it will show the relationship between spp from dna testing.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
As dan518 stated, most the latest reclassifications have to do with DNA analysis, which can determine evolutionary relationships.
Appearance is not always relevant, one of the closest relatives to the 3 ft African cichlid Boulengerochromis microlepis, is less than 5", and its outward appearance is nothing like the Emperor cichlid.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Interesting, thanks for the info.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store