Should i add another aquaclear 110 on my 75 gallon?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
If that worried about it, throw a AC 70 rather than a 110. should not cause allot more flow issue for the fish.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Total nonsense.

I stack my AC's with large sponge at the bottom to catch the larger particulate matter, on top of that a few layers of blue/white media to catch finer particulate matter, and on top of that a large media bag full of bio-max rings, and a few have Seachem bio media as well.

A LFS south of me runs 3 AC 500's on their 300 gallon display tank that is typically packed with fish, and all they run is 2 course sponges in each filter.
It's no nonsense.

I used AC110 about 20+ years ago, and had to wrap a blue/white filter pad around the foam to improve mechanical filtration. The original AC foam is so coarse that fines will pass right through. I figure that if I had to use a filter pad on top of the foam, I might as well skip the foam and go straight to cartridge style HOB. I do not need the foam for biological filtration as I have plenty of in tank bio media (substrate, ornaments, and plants). For similar reason, I did not and have no need to install the biowheels for my Penguin.

I also have a LFS near me that ran AC500 in all his big fish tanks, all bare bottom, and fish are packed like sardine. In his set up, AC is better off than cartridge style HOB because of the heavy stocking and lack of in tank bio media. I have plants, substrate and rock, and additional bio media or bio filtration is not needed. My focus is mechanical filtration, and cartridge style HOBs are easier and quicker to clean, and cheaper. I can buy two Penquin 350 for one AC 500, and two filters work better than one by distributing the flow more evenly, and if one fails to self start in power surge, there is a back up I can count on.

The best bio filter is sponge filter that runs on trickling air lift flow. The reason AC foam is so coarse is to compensate for the high flow that would clog up a regular sponge at no time at the expense of lower mechanical efficiency.

I also discovered that slower flow for my Penguin can improve mechanical efficiency further. When my original Penguin impeller was shot, I replaced it with smaller impeller one model lower. With smaller impeller and slower flow, the operation is quieter, and it takes longer to clog up yet more thoroughly, meaning higher mechanical efficiency.

It is unfortunate that buyers pay attention only to the number rating, so a 500 gph must be better than a 350, not realizing that flow and media capacity are out of proportion. If high flow is what one desires. there are cheaper circulation pumps in the market. In my 125 and 75, I installed a circulation pump at one end to promote longitudinal flow to augment the back to front flow from HOBs.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I've read your AC comments many times, Tiger. None of what you claim does anything to prove that "AC is so over powering that it is neither good for mechanical or biological filtration." As previously stated - how well an AC 110 performs, or not, is all based in the details of how they are set up, and maintained. Cost wasn't even part of the equation here, the OP already owns an extra AC 110. I run 3 AC 500's on 6ft tanks, so redundancy is already covered. I have also never had one fail to start after a power outage. I'm still waiting for an o-ring to fail too, which is another one of your top AC complaints. lol

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
With that stock and how densely the tank is planted, you could probably almost run this tank on a powerhead. I wouldn't add more filtration unless you were itching to use your extra filter.

Reactions: FIU Panther

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
With heavily planted tank, the last thing the OP needs is another AC110 to blow away the plants. Since he has already had a Penguin 350, I suggest him to bring it out to replace the AC. A planted tank needs good and gentle flow, not strong flow, to evenly distribute nutrients and CO2. There is no need for foam bio media, since he has substrate bio media, and plants uptake ammonia directly so in a way in competition with BB.

I have a 6 ft 125 planted tank that runs on three 350, and a power head on one end to even out flow longitudinally. The water is always crystal clear, but I have to clean the filters twice a week given heavy cichlid stocking. But cleaning is quick and easy by sliding DIY cartridges in and out in minutes. The OP has a Eheim he can direct flow longitudinally, so a power head is not needed.

D861DF2D-D13C-4A34-9ADD-CEFC8519E807.jpeg

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
The OP has a Eheim he can direct flow longitudinally, so a power head is not needed.
I'm not suggesting he add a powerhead in addition to his filters, I was just exaggerating to emphasize that with that many plants, the extra filtration is not needed. Saying he could practically run the tank with just the plants for filtration. Just to be clear

Reactions: Zanzag

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I don’t think adding the second filter hurts at all. When I had my 75g I had both ac 110s running on it and had no problems with flow or too much flow....when I upgraded to a 90g both filters were moved over, and when i upgrad to a 120/130g both filters will be moving over.

If you are finding yourself in mini cycles when you clean the filter having the second will help with this as you can rotate filter cleanings...you can turn the filters on low flow if the plants are blowing around, even add pre-filters to the intakes.

Reactions: RD. and Zanzag

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
With heavily planted tank, the last thing the OP needs is another AC110 to blow away the plants. Since he has already had a Penguin 350, I suggest him to bring it out to replace the AC. A planted tank needs good and gentle flow, not strong flow, to evenly distribute nutrients and CO2. There is no need for foam bio media, since he has substrate bio media, and plants uptake ammonia directly so in a way in competition with BB.

View attachment 1377411
My tank is quite heavily planted and i find myself wanting more and more water movement. The op has substrate plants that wont be harmed by the flow as they feed from the substrate. Worrying about co2 levels is only something that needs to be done if you are dosing it. Low tech planted you just want surface movement for oxygenation.20190612_142736.jpg

Reactions: RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store